Sunday, January 11, 2009

5 bits of good news

I'm officially in the midst of a trial.

I've talked to lots of people before about how I feel like my life is so charmed. I have had relatively few trials and those I have gone through are nothing major. But Andrew's back problems have turned into a trial for our whole family. I would much rather be on my end of the trial(having to pick up the slack where he can't) than his(suffering constant physical pain for months on end), but my side hasn't been easy either.

I'm trying not to let myself have a pity party, so instead want to share some of the good things that have happened around here this week.

ANDREW got to go to the Panther's playoff game tonight with Michael. Woo hoo! Two NFL games in one season? What a lucky guy.

Too bad the Panthers lost.

I officially reached my pre-pregnancy weight this week. Yes! I had one pound to go before we left to Utah. I was SO bummed because I figured three weeks of vacation eating would do me in. But I somehow managed to lose that last pound. Yippee! I rewarded myself with a little spending cash to get some new jeans, but have yet to find any that I like.

My new post-baby diet: Eat Cheesecake Factory
and still manage to lose a pound. Sweet!

BRANDON got two green cards at school this week(out of the five days). That's pretty good for him. He also was the high scorer in his basketball game last week. Way to go, buddy!

Here he is attempting a free throw this week.
I tried to upload a video from last week, but was
having technical difficulties.

WHITNEY got a raving review on her progress report at preschool. In part her teacher said that she is, "mature, helpful, happy and a leader. She does everything she is supposed to and more. All of the children look to Whitney for guidance and friendship. She is a joy to teach!"

Not only does she LOOK like a princess,
but she acts like one, too...at least at school.

CAROLINE has three of her top teeth coming in this week. I'll miss her little gummy smile, but it'll be fun to get to see her new pearly whites. She also learned how to wave this week. All day Wed, she would wave at us when we said Hi to her. But then on Thurs afternoon, she forgot how. I'm sure it'll come back to her. Eventually.

It was the cute little backward wave. You know,
almost like she was waving to herself.

Andrew did visit an Orthopedic surgeon this week. He'll get an MRI next week and go back to the doctor the following week. At least two more weeks of walking around like an old man.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can you believe that AZ won? How fun for Andrew to be able to attend - hope his back is okay. Forgot to ask if B won his game today. We miss you guys. Read Andrew's latest blog entry. How dare he make fun of little old Roosevelt! Just joking - Dad and I laughed so hard. Maybe he should consider a writing career :). Love, Gigi

Ang said...

I loved every bit of your good news (and was a little jealous of the cheesecake/weight losing part . . . but I love you anyway :-).

We miss you guys! And we felt for Drew last night as we (okay, as Forrest, who would occasionally give me verbal updates) watched the football game.

Anonymous said...

I love the way you look for the silver lining in life. You always raise my happiness quotient when I read your entries coupled with amazing pictures! This may sound weird, but has Andrew ever tried acupuncture? When we were in China, as a touristy thing, we went to a "medical school" where they demonstrated on Alex's back. Mind you he only had a dull ache in his back from a weight lifting injury ten years before, nothing debilitating, but he was pain free for at least six months afterward. The two forms of medical help could work together, maybe?

Sandy said...

Good for you for finding some things to be happy about - its so easy to let one issue cloud everything else, so good for you for not letting it do that! My fave picture was Caroline waving at herself - babies are just funny:) Cool sledboarding, too - I'm not letting my kids see that one, lest they get some ideas (they're not very coordinated...). Hope you guys get some helpful news from the orthopedic surgeon - I'm sure you're both ready to be done with this and healthy again!

The Oregonians said...

Good to know things are going well for MOST of the family. Our prayers are with Andrew. Keep us posted.

The Normal Mormon Husband said...

One of the reasons I love you so much is because you are an eternal optimist. I love the picture of Whitney dressed like a full-blown princess. One day when she is all grown up I will look back with fondness to these days when you never know if Cinderella, Snow White, Aurora or a ballerina is going to descend from the stairs. Love you!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for an end-of-the-day-brightening update to read! I will always remember the first time Dennis met you he said "I like her - she's a happy person." He's a wise man!

Loved all the pictures - but especially got a kick out of the ancient people in the background of the picture of Brandon's basketball game. Goodness gracious, they are adorable! I mean, really, they're almost as cute as Caroline's backwards wave and Whit in a princess costume and Brandon's studly self and your beautiful smile with your cheesecake and Andrew mugging with his friend. Andrew's back problems.......what to do....bless both of your hearts, and Andrew's back, it has been a bummer. I like Aunt Stephanie's suggestion about accupuncture (spelled wrong but too lazy to scroll up and see how to spell it correctly) - love you all!
Grandma Sweat

Natalie said...

Whit's dress in that one picture is amazing! So beautiful. And David and I were admiring how adorable Caroline is in church yesterday. Such a cutie!

Anonymous said...

Poor Andrew. Now that I've seen him hunched over like an old man in person, I feel even worse for him. At least he has a skinny wife. (-: I still have 4 pounds to go. Maybe I'll try the cheesecake diet.

shelley said...

my favorite part is that you put caroline in the corner to take the backward wave pic. and i think i know why, but i'll tell you in person. it made me laugh out loud!!! :)

Unknown said...

Sorry you guys are struggling right now. And yes, I am always impressed how happy you are(decide to be) You are tons of fun to be around. Hope Andrew can get some answers and start healing soon!
And man-I was down to my prepregnancy weight then fall hit. And winter. And with that came the cream soups, homemade bread, cookies, and candies. Now I need to get a grip and start again.

Laurie said...

Huge congrats on reaching your pre pregnancy weight!! That is a huge feat. Happy weekend.

{kim} said...

Good job on losing the baby weight (I just lost my last pound too)! Oh, and Tatum has the same onesie (smart cookie) as Caroline. Hope things start to look up for you guys :-)

Holly said...

I love the backhanded wave. Caroline is gorgeous (of course). All of your kids are. Bummer about the Andrew back issues. That has to be really annoying. You have such a great attitude, and even when you have something serious to complain about, you don't.