Thursday, March 06, 2008

Assorted thoughts and updates

*First off, a quick question: What exactly does the tooth fairy do with the teeth she "buys" from children? Throw them away? Sell them to a desperate dental student? Use them to fashion the most life-like mannequin smiles you've ever seen? I think I missed that lesson in parenting 101.

*Our latest indulgence: A Sleep Number bed. Oh...my...gosh. We've been missing out. Andrew's chiropractor insisted that we needed a new bed and, lucky us, we just got a tax return! So we went straight to the Select Comfort store and bought a big ol' new one. The salesman talked us into saving $150 by assembling it ourselves. After the first hour of work, we were second guessing our decision, but when the whole thing only took about two hours, we decided we had done the right thing. It is heavenly! LOVE it. And as an added bonus, we sold our old water bed frame on Craig's List for $75. Woo hoo. Almost enough to pay for the new sheet set I ordered for the bed. :)

*Our biggest trial at the moment: parenting a six year old. Just when we think we've got the parenting thing under control, Brandon goes through one of his phases. This one has lasted for the past 2 or 3 weeks and just about has Andrew and I pulling our hair out. He is such a strong-willed little boy and I know this will serve him well in a lot of capacities. It's just no fun to deal with when he's copping an attitude like a teenager and refuses to cooperate with his parents. Today was the first day all week that he didn't have a time out or lost Pokemon cards or had to write a paper about why its wrong to yell at your parents. Maybe the phase is passing? Or maybe it was just the calm before our next storm.

This cute smile can be deceiving....very deceiving.

*The cutest thing ever: Whitney is enrolled in her very first dance class and it started today. There is NOTHING in the world cuter than an almost-four-year-old girl strutting her stuff in a tutu. It was almost like Christmas for her with her excitement and anticipation.

Is it time for my class yet???

I was afraid it might be a let down because she was SOOO looking forward to it. Oh, no, it met and/or exceeding expectations. She has a great teacher and only two other little girls in her class. I don't think she wanted it to end. Too much fun.

Hooray for pirouettes!

Here are a couple little clips from it.

They are learning both ballet...



and tap. What do you think, Natalie?
Do you see potential here?

*Have you ever heard of the store called Steve and Barry's? They sell the cheapest stuff and it is all cool-looking. We only have one around here and it's in a mall where I don't normally shop, but I was in that area this week and stopped by. Everything in the store is $9 or less right now. Are you serious? I bought jeans for Andrew, Whit, B, and even a cute little pair for Caroline. (Obviously none for myself right now. I'm in a total clothing funk, but that's another long, boring story.) And then the clincher--I tried to convince Andrew that he should let me buy some new basketball shoes for him there. For 10 bucks? Come on, how bad can they be? They are endorsed by NBA rebound monster Ben Wallace. So I got them. I'm still not sure if he's going to wear them at his next b-ball game (tomorrow), but hey, I tried.

What do you think of them?

*I don't know what's up with my kids, but they no longer sleep in their beds. Almost two weeks ago now, we let them camp out on the bonus room floor together on a Friday night. They loved it and since then neither of them wants to go back to sleeping on a mattress. They'd rather just throw their sleeping bags down on the floor. We only let them sleep in the same room on weekends. They can get kind of rowdy together, which I think is totally cute, but I hear that sleep is important for growing young boys who want to do well in school. Even in their separate rooms, they prefer the floor. Go figure.

Brandon zonked out on his floor

Whit crashed on hers

Yet there's a perfectly good bed sitting right there.
Oh, well.

And that about wraps it up for this edition of "Random thoughts and occurrences in our lives."

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

You guys have got to do more camping so Brandon and Whitney get the hang of sleeping in (or at least on) their sleeping bags. But don't fret -- floor sleeping just seems to be something kids will prefer at various stages.
G * G Hiatt

Natalie said...

I loved this post. The videos of dance class cracked me up! In the first one that other girl just about falls over, and then it was hilarioud in the second video when another girl kicked her tap shoe off. Or was that the same girl both times? If so, she might be in trouble. They were so super cute though! I want to teach tap and ballet! It looks like so much fun! And Whit is super cute in her outfit. One time I kicked my shoe off in tap class and it hit the mirror. Man did I get in trouble!

shelley said...

I also liked the girl that kicked off her tap shoe. And what are these papers Brandon has to write? Will they grace the blog? I would love to read one! Do they have to be 2 pages, 10 pt font, double spaced, or do you accept like 20 pt font so it's really only like 3 words long?

Marianne said...

Sounds like things are moving along...new bed, dance (too cute!!!), teeth falling out, musical beds (floors), and testing-the-limit-B-Train! You have your hands fun! I love the update and I'm sorry to hear you're in a clothes funk...I'll try to call on Sunday so we can update each other. :)

Ang said...

The waterbed frame is . . . gone???

Oh, if that water bed frame could talk. Forrest and I bought it when we were first married from a friend of Forrest's at work. He'd recently gotten divorced and was getting remarried, and his new wife didn't want to sleep in the "old" bed. So he sold it to us for--I really think!--$75.

We slept in the actual water bed until I got pregnant with Ethan and couldn't haul myself out of it anymore (one, two, three, LIFT!). Then we got a new real mattress, but it was too pillowtoppy to fit in the frame, so we gave it to YOU GUYS! And if I'm not mistaken, we also gave you the sheets, which were a wedding present from Linda Norman and had funky early 90s geometric shapes on them, and I think you still have those. Are those the sheets you had to replace?

And now, and now, the water bed frame has gone full circle, having been sold for $75 once more. If only the purchaser knew its history . . .

Anonymous said...

I was so engrossed in watching Whitney in ballet that when the video ended I was temporarily confused - I think I'd transported myself in place and time, right down to North Carolina for just a second. Soooooo dang cute - and she's "got it" - great little punkin that she is! And Brandon, Brandon, Brandon.....underneath it all is a heart of gold and that's a fact - so rock on parents - you're doing great. Loved Angie's saga of the bed coming full circle - I never knew the sheets were from Linda Norman - that even makes the story sweeter!
Love,
Mom

Sandy said...

Cute pictures!! We write notes to the toothfairy asking her to please drop off the teeth in mom's scrapbook hutch. So far she has complied...that way I could use the first one in KJ's scrapbook...and can do what I want with the rest and she won't freak out if she finds one laying around in its little baggy, haha:)

Megan said...

Our tooth fairy merely pays them for their labors whilst pulling out the tooth. The tooth is theirs. Fairy wants nothing to do with said grossness. And our Fairy is old school... 25 cents/tooth. None of this $5 stuff!

If you want great sheets check out Private Quarters. For about $66 you'll get a fitted and flat sheet (mine are queen) that you'll want to sleep naked in. Just went to the PQ party last night and it felt like you'd have 2 plush microfiber throws to sleep between!

andrea said...

Grandpa--You're SO right, especially with Brandon. Why doesn't our ward have a father/son campout? (I don't really want to go camping with this big belly OR a newborn, but the boys might like it.)

Natalie--That was the same girl in both clips. You should see the other five clips I took. I think she spent more time on the floor than on her feet. :)

Shelley--Oh, B's not allowed to TYPE his papers. They must be hand written, and neatly enough so I can read them. I might have to give you a sampling sometime. They're really pretty cute.

Ang--Totally thought of you when I put the waterbed up for sale. I actually got sick of the sheets a couple years ago and had bought a new set that Andrew calls our banana sheets. I'm finally ready to have sheets and comforter and pillowcase that all match. (Moving up in the world I tell ya.)

Sandy and Megan--Thanks for the tooth fairy advice. I think it might be too late to use either of your techniques, but we might have to see what we can do....

Petit Elefant said...

Hi,
I just found your blog and thought I'd share mine: http://petitelefant.blogspot.com/
Thanks,
Allison

Anonymous said...

P.S. - the tooth fairy grinds up all the teeth and sells them to piano makers for the white keys :) Stevie Wonder was in on it when he sang "Ebony and Ivory" - it should have been "Ebony and Enamel" but that didn't rhyme.
Love again,
Mom Sweat

Joey/Denny/Emma said...

It's always so much fun to read your blog and get such great glimpses of your life. I think Brandon and Emma are kindred "strong-willed" spirits.

Anonymous said...

Great update! Maybe Brandon and Whitney need sleep number beds. (-:

Those videos of Whit are adorable! She is at such a cute and fun age and I definitely see potential. Now I'm going to do a search for Steve and Barry's - it sounds like my kind of store.

The Normal Mormon Husband said...

Every once in a while your child does something that is so adorable that your heart absolutely melts as a parent. That happened to me last week when I came home from work and was greeted by Whit dressed in a black tutu. She was grinning from ear to ear and said, "Daddy! Look! I'm a ballerina!" and started pirouetting across the floor. She is adorable!

And just an update for the readers - Brandon tried to punch me yesterday. Sigh.

Why isn't anybody commenting about the shoes? I wore the Stephon Marbury "Starbury" shoes for a day and they are fine for basic tennis shoes. Haven't tried the Big Ben's yet, but you can you go wrong for $9?

Laurie said...

We're in a similar hair-pulling mode with Clayton, except it doesn't seem to come in phases - it appears to be never ending. If I manage to channel this strong will in positive directions it'll probably be my greatest accomplishment - or at least hardest won.

Your girl in tutu is darling and enviable!

Anonymous said...

Andrew,

Based on appearances I think the shoes look fine. Maybe they won't last as long as $100 Nikes, but definitely worth it in my mind. Have you tried them out yet? If you sprain an ankle this next game please let us all know, but until then I think $9 is a great deal.

Dan and Marci said...

OHH!!--Dan thinks that we really need a sleep number bed too. He claims that when we finish school we will splurge--we'll see.

The Normal Mormon Husband said...

Amy - I've worn them around the house a little bit, but haven't played basketball in them. They feel pretty good after the first time wearing them.