Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Three fun things to do in NC

We've done some new fun things lately and I thought I'd share. Because other people like to have fun, too. And who am I to hold them back?

1. The NC Zoo

Ok, this wasn't actually new to us, but it was Caroline's first visit. She is way into birds right now. Loves to point at them when she sees them flying about. So I was all excited to take her into the aviary.

She liked it, but wasn't as pumped as
I was expecting.
Brandon and Whit were ready to move on.


They were thrilled to find this new statue
of the dung beetle. (I think this artist is
still young at heart.)

"Those crazy kids."

They have a really cool carousel with giraffes,
gorillas, lions, etc.
Our kids chose....
the nest.
It did spin around.
Which was cool.

The closest we got to a family picture--
taken in the rearview mirror of the tram.

2. The NC Museum of Natural Sciences
Andrew and I have learned the hard way over the years that you get what you pay for. So when we heard that this museum was FREE, we didn't have our expectations set too high.

Wow. We were blown away. It rocked!

Help! We're being eaten by the fossilized jaws of
a giant shark!

They have a butterfly exhibit.
One of them got up close and friendly with Andrew.

Caroline did lots and lots of pointing and grunting.
Her favorite forms of communication.

This giant praying mantis is friendly...right?


Aaagh! Now the T-Rex skull is attacking!
Sheesh!

We survived all the scary exhibits and would
go back in a heartbeat. Highly recommend it.

3. The Melting Pot

While Marianne was here, Andrew volunteered to watch the kids one night so we could go out. We debated between getting pedicures or going out for fondue. Our stomachs won.

It was 70's night at our local Melting Pot.
We hit the thrift store and tried to look
as groovy as possible. We decided a lot of the
styles that are in right now are 70-ish.
I could get away with wearing this shirt
on a normal day, right? Right?

We started off with appetizers. We dipped
bread and apples into the cheese of our choice.
It was made with beer.
We wondered if we needed to talk to our
bishops after that. Our waiter assured
us that all the alcohol burns off.
We took his word for it and wolfed it down.

Then salads with a crumbly cheese that
neither of us was too fond of.

Then the main course.
They bring it out uncooked.
(But they don't like the word "raw.")
And we got to cook it ourselves in our little pot.
(Ingenious! Let's make our customers pay big
bucks and make them cook their food themselves!)
Neither of us is a very adventurous eater.
They served ravioli, Ahi Tuna, shrimp, and BBQ pork.

We felt very brave when we tried the shrimp.
It was more like a dare than a meal.
I could only eat the one.
But the tuna and pork were surprisingly tasty!

But far and away my favorite part was...
the chocolate.
It was almost too pretty to eat.
Almost.

Cheesecake + rice krispy treats + strawberries + chocolate=
two very happy and very full friends.

12 comments:

Jayne said...

Good choice (fondue instead of pedicure). Was it really 70s night?

The Normal Mormon Husband said...

Thanks for finding so many fun things for our family to do. You totally rock the kazbah. You looked really cute in your '70's outfit, too. It was like I was married to Marsha Brady for the night.

Angelica's Family Adventures said...

oh I LOVE each & everyone of those!!!

Ang said...

Mmmm. . . that dessert tray looks delish!

The Oregonians said...

The pictures of the kids and the food are great. Can't understand why anyone would be afraid of shrimp, though. And what's with this using a nice boy like Brandon to blatantly endorse "Napoleon Dynamite"? (I know; it's a generations thing.)

Mom Sweat said...

What a smorgesboard of sensory delights! The faces, the animals, the food, the rabid 60's looks (you look good in the floral motiff!).
Thanks for a great peak into your fun adventures.
Love,
Mom Sweat

Natalie said...

I love the zoo too. I am not a huge fan of the melting pot though. I think I would only be interested in the dessert there.

Amy said...

I think it's hilarious that Brandon has a "Vote for Pedro" shirt. That's great.

What a fun activities! I'm so jealous of the melting pot chocolate. mmmm...

Sawyers Family said...

Hey! I have "stalked" your blog for weeks! But I love the FREE museum! I just might have to take my kids there. Maylee's room is decorated with butterflies and she might get a kick out of the butterflies!
Check out our blog www.sawyersfamilynews.blogspot.com

Sandy said...

how fun! I haven't ever been to a Melting Pot, but I think I would like it...I even own my own fondue pot (which I haven't used yet becaue I keep forgetting to buy the little candle to put under it...).

{kim} said...

I've always wanted to eat there but now I'm not so sure. I would like the dessert though. That looks amazing! You guys look so cute!

Marianne said...

Oh how fun!!! I'm so late on checking this out! What a fun adventure that was.....I can't wait to take Patrick to that place! Thanks for sucn fun memories!!!