Tuesday, July 07, 2009

Destination reached

We made it to Utah. Hooray! We are THRILLED to be here and to have a couple of weeks to chill with our families before heading back out. We've traveled 3066 miles so far and are having a great time. I love watching the scenery change as we drive across states. I love taking my kids places that they've never been. And I especially love visiting with so many friends and relatives. It is the best!

Here are some of the highlights from the trip out.

Whitney's favorites:

1. Visiting the Dallas World Aquarium

Everyone loved the otters.

And we ALL love Grandma Cuca, who joined
us about halfway through our trip. She rocks!

Watch out for that shark!

2. Visiting two science museums along the way.
(We are getting the most out of our membership
to the Natural Science Center back home!)

We stopped at the Clay Center in Charleston, WV.

Whit thought this bubble wall was AWESOME.

We also visited Science Museum Oklahoma.


She got to try out a segway.
Pretty good, huh?

3. Trying to go "fishing" at a little lake in Georgetown, Colorado.

We took a very different route this time than we did on our last cross-country road trip. This lake was one of the only stops that we made both times.

Whit found a stick and held it in the water.
You know, she was fishing.
(Grandpa Gerber--I think she needs some lessons.)

Brandon's favorites:

1. The two museums

He built a free-standing arch at the Clay Center.
And also enjoyed making little movies and
choreographing fountains using "the force."

He had a blast at the GIANT tree house in SM Oklahoma.
It had a TWO STORY twisty slide.

He and Whit got along pretty well throughout the trip.
Yay!


2. Getting Bionicles.

Both his Aunt Stephanie and Uncle Alex

AND his Aunt Irene and Uncle Bill got him Bioncles.
He has been in heaven. He LOVES building those things.
They are currently gracing Grandma and Grandpa's mantle.

3. Breaking fish guts at Georgetown lake. (What a boy!)

Leave it up to B to find guts in the lake and use
sticks to pull them out and examine them.
I think he'll enjoy anatomy lab in college.

My favorites:

1. Playing Chickenfoot and Dominoes at night in both Texas and Wichita.

I even won a game. Woo hoo!

2. Taking in the scenery during the drive from Colorado to Utah. Seriously breathtaking.

The pictures don't do it justice.

If you ever have a chance to take this drive,
DO IT! Sooooo beautiful.

We had been driving through plains for so long,
then all of a sudden the majestic Rockies.

And then into the desert.
(I'm still a desert girl at heart.)

We even caught a glimpse of a rainbow.
(A rarity in NC.)

3. Singing really loud to the song "Ghostbusters" in the car.

Every road trip I make a new CD of downloaded songs and while the whole CD isn't as fun as some of the others we've had, this song is a BIG hit with us.

Who ya gonna call?
Ghostbusters!

Other random moments

A bird landing right on Marianne's head at the
aquarium. Cracked me up. Freaked her out.

Looking at Caroline THROUGH one of the tanks.
Hi, baby...and Uncle Bill!

Stopping at the Oklahoma City National Memorial.

We packed a lunch and ate under the shade of
the only tree that survived the blast.

Stopped at a random elementary school
in Kansas for lunch and to play.

It was HOT, but we had fun.

When we were driving through Kentucky, we passed a truck with the official state seal that said "Abandoned land mine detection." I was so fascinated. I had no idea that land mines were a problem in Kentucky. I was talking to Andrew about it and he had me doubting myself--I must've read the truck wrong. I googled it and found that they have a Division of Abandoned Mine Lands and a Division of Mine Reclamation and Enforcement. I guess land mines aren't a problem, but they apparently have lots of abandoned coal mines there. Simple mistake, right?

We're enjoying the break from the car now, but I'm excited to make more memories along the way as we travel home.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds like you're having lots of fun! You have me entertaining the idea of trying it next year even. I love the idea of making a CD for the trip.

Also, wanted to let you know you won the photo session giveaway!!

Enjoy the rest of your trip. We'll have to talk soon!

Megan said...

You are a brave, brave woman! You're making me want to hop in the car with the kids and drive to UT. But alas, we have swim lessons!

{kim} said...

Road trips are fun! I wish we could have stopped at the OK city memorial, but we drove through there during the night. I agree, you are a brave, brave woman!

Natalie said...

That picture of the shark is so cool. I am glad you guys are having fun, but we miss you!

The Normal Mormon Husband said...

Funnest. Mom. Ever!

CarrieMarie said...

You are certainly a cool road trip mom! Your trip is reminding me of all the fun I had w/ my family on roadtrips. They were always 1/2 planned/1/2 by the seat of our pants kinda trips. Good times!! (And my brother & I survived to adulthood, so that's a plus, right?)

I hope the trip back is just as amazing, educational, and safe!!

CarrieMarie

Grandma Sweat said...

and you're all still smiling and Caroline gets into her car seat without any post traumatic stress! Truly amazing adventurers are you. It's really fun to have you here with us in Utah!
Love
Grandma Sweat

A Hunter said...

Just what I needed to read! I'm leaving on my road trip next week and now I even more excited! It sounds like you're having a great time and I am seriously impressed with your planning skills. This trip didn't make itself, way to go!