Sunday, May 17, 2009

Five year old girl

My life is flying by and I'm missing out on documenting some of the important things.

Like Whitney turning five.


Five!

In some ways hard to believe, in other ways, she already seems like a pre-teen.

I thought I better capture some of her strengths and talents,
quirks and foibles at this age...before they slip from memory.

*Whit loves music. She loves singing,
dancing,
and almost always has a CD going on
in the background if she's playing inside.


*She is a GREAT helper.
She loves to help in the kitchen.

And out in the garden, too.
But she hates cleaning up her room at night.

*She can do puzzles for an hour and not get bored.
Sometimes she'll be up in the bonus room quietly playing.
When I go to check on her, I'll find six or seven puzzles
put together on the floor.
(No wonder she hates cleaning, right?)

*She is a girly-girl and loves to get dressed up.
And she can sure come up with some interesting outfits.
I do my best to restrain my opinions and just let her be herself.

*She loves to laugh and be silly.
Especially with her dad and big brother.
She and Brandon fight and argue A LOT,
but they can also crack each other up.

She's really into knock-knock jokes right now.



*Loves to go to the mall and try on clothes there.
Doesn't mind at all if we don't buy anything.

*Is getting more and more comfortable on her "Big girl" bike.
But not ready to take off those training wheels yet.


*Is a wonderful big sister.
Helps take care of Caroline.
Loves to share treats with her.
Tries to help keep her safe.

*She's tall. Very tall. Like 90th percentile.
The height predictor estimates she'll be 5'9".
Just like me.

*She has always had a very sweet disposition...
but over the past couple of months has started
getting some attitude with us. It's so sad.
I'm hoping it's a phase. A short-lived one.

*She loves preschool and always looks forward to going.
She is learning to read and it's exciting to hear her
sounding things out. I'll miss her when she starts
kindergarten in the fall, but she can't wait to ride
the bus with her big brother.

*She is a great eater and will eat
just about anything I put in front of her.
Especially loves pasta, waffles, and fruit.
(Strawberries, pineapple, melon.)

*She has a zest for life that is contagious.
She spreads happiness to everyone around her.
I'm so blessed to be her mom.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whitney is growing up so fast! Love you! Gigi

The Oregonians said...

Great pictures and comments.
Does Whitney still like giraffes?

The Normal Mormon Husband said...

Love that little girl. Another little tidbit about W is that she is practically double jointed in her elbows. Take a closer look at that last picture and you'll see what I mean.

andrea said...

Yes, Grandpa. I double-checked with Whit. Giraffes are still her favorite animal. She's just not as into animals as she used to be.

Grandma Sweat said...

What a beautiful picture of Whitney on the top photo - did you cute her hair or is just swept back? Loved reading your post.
Love,
Grandma Sweat who read this at work and can't believe her luck - our spam filter must be on the fritz!

Jessica said...

She's 5!!!?? Oh my goodness how time flies!

Natalie said...

She is too adorable! I can't believe she will start school in the fall. Happy Bday Whit!

Amy said...

One thing I like about Whitney is she's not shy. Even though I don't see her a lot, she gives me great hugs and will talk and talk to me. Hope she had a fun 5th birthday!

Great Aunt Julie said...

Happy Birthday, beautiful Whitney!

Sandy said...

What a cutie! She looks like so much fun - I bet her and Heather would have a ball together.

And "very tall" is all relative...you do the height predictor on my kids and you get 6'1" for Kimball, 6'4" for Heather and 6'8" for Josh. Our basketball team will crush your basketball team.

:)