Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Snow can be...fun?

I hate being cold. I don't like winter. After living in Tucson/Vegas for two years with NO winter whatsoever, I realized I could happily do without it.

But after living in the snow and ice of Utah for the past three weeks, I have to admit, it can be really fun.

At Andrew's parents' house, he took the kids out back to play. I thought they were going to build a snow man, but it ended up being a snow fort. It was the perfect packing snow, too.

Even Grandma got in on the action.

Take cover!

I took Brandon and Whit sledding while we were visiting my parents. Andrew decided to stay home with Caroline. (For his sake more than hers. Bad backs and fast descents don't mix!) As we left the house, I felt like I was making a sacrifice to go out in the bitter cold so that my kids could have some fun. But by the end, I wanted to stay as long or longer than they did. It was a blast!

And also a lot of WORK to bundle up
these munchkins! Thanks again to
Ang for loaning us the snow gear.

Brandon was too cool to SIT on the sled.
He wanted to "sledboard."
This is how he would end up:
down in the snow after a few feet.
Luckily, there were no major injuries sustained.

Whit was happy with the traditional sledding position...

even when she lost her sled.

But after watching big brother go down head first,

W wanted to give it a try.

We had to go down at least once with all three of us on the sled.

That did not go so well.
I'm not meant to be the anchor of a sledding team.
I kept making us sled sideways and crash.
But we always ended up laughing over it.

Whit's face captures the moment perfectly.

Much to my mother's chagrin, one fun day at the sledding park does NOT make me want to move to Utah. I will happily return to my 50 and 60 degree Carolina winters. I got my fill of snow-related fun for at least another year or so. :)

13 comments:

Angelica's Family Adventures said...

I'm with you! Snow is oh so fun but I love the Carolina winters! We haven't even had snow for a full month & I want spring.

Megan said...

I have a frozen sidewalk every morning from my 5 am sprinklers. Does that count? LOL! :)

Paul-N-Daneen said...

Looks so fun I'm kinda jealous I would have loved to go sleding

Ang said...

What cute pictures!

And my mom used to BEG Andrew and me to go outside and sled in the winter. Wimps. Both of us. (And when he was 9 he didn't have a bad back, no matter what he tells you.)

shelley said...

snow is pretty and fun - in small doses. i'm with you. you couldn't pay me enough... :)

jax from the harmon squad said...

Um, you want to come back to the 30 to 40 degree weather with pouring rain we've been having? EVERYTHING has turned to mud and we're going stir-crazy from being inside all day. I would much rather have snow- at least you can go outside to play. Granted, I do prefer colder climates myself (call me crazy, but i do).

The Oregonians said...

Irving Berlin had the right idea: dream about a white Christmas but live in Beverly Hills.

Anonymous said...

When on earth did you find time to post this blog? Did you do it at 3:00 a.m. when you were up with Caroline, or on a laptop while you were driving from Roosevelt? We sure had a great time with ya'll (although looking at these snowy pictures kind of makes me want to go take a warm bath) and we are glad you've arrived back home safe and sound (dad said the only setback you reported when you called tonight was when Whitney was informed by the airport McDonald's that there were only boy toys for her happy meal, but other than that the kids were troupers. Way to go you guys - you're awesome.
Love,
Grandma Sweat

Vlazny's said...

Oh you just made me miss the snow. I can only handle it for so long. I want one good snow day here in Gboro and I would be happy. I love Whitney's face she is super excited.

Natalie said...

Snow is way better than the rain we have been having. But I can only take so much of the cold.

Anonymous said...

I love snow! We've taken Jack sledding twice this year and I'm just waiting for more snow so we can take him again.

Utah trips are probably perfect for your family. You still get to play in the snow, but you don't have to live with it.

Whitney looks like she was having a blast!

Marianne said...

Way fun!!! While we chatted last night I realized I could have a better picture of your life if I but checked your blog....so here I am!!!

The Normal Mormon Husband said...

Actually, I faked the whole "bad back" thing just to avoid having to go out in the snow...