Thursday, February 07, 2008

The GDP and me

A few months ago, I read a book called "The Price of Motherhood" by Ann Crittenden. I've been meaning to do a blog post on it, but every time I sit down to do it, it turns into a more time-consuming task than I think it should be. I had the hardest time figuring out exactly what I wanted to say about it, but I didn't want to just drop it, either.

I don't know that I'd necessarily recommend the book. It started off really good. I loved the first three chapters. Very interesting and informative. Made me look at motherhood and the history of our economy in ways I hadn't before. But then it jumped the shark and was a grueling chore for me to finish. Lots of recommendations about socialized health care and day care and why all women need to work to protect their financial well-being in case of a divorce. Just rubbed me the wrong way.

Even though I didn't love the book, there are points that have lingered in my mind since I finished it. I guess in that respect it was pretty powerful. One of the main points is about the value of the work of stay-at-home-moms. (SAHM's) I'd heard of "studies" that try to put a value on all of the tasks we do and come up with some astronomical six-figure income that would be necessary to pay us, but I hadn't really thought about the monetary investment that we're making through raising our kids. Crittenden talks about how human capital is THE most valuable resource in our economy. And I'm the one producing it! How's that for important?

My investment portfolio

Here's one of the quotes that drove that point home to me: "In a static, agrarian economy people cannot, and need not, make huge investments of time or emotion in their children. Early in life, with little or no schooling, children are able to become valuable assets, who work in the fields and the kitchen, tend the babies, care for the animals, and help in the family enterprise. An Indian baby in Guatemala can be safely tucked in a hammock all day with no harm done to his future as a subsistence farmer. But these practices provide poor preparation for success in a fluid and meritocratic society. It takes years of hard, patient work to mold infants into individuals who have the imagination to find a place for themselves in a competitive, mobile world, the self-confidence to strive, and the self-discipline to plan for an uncertain future."

See? All that time spent reading to my kids and putting them in time out when they've broken the rules IS valuable.

B, please go stand in the corner.
It's for the future of the American economy.
Trust me.

It's preparing them to be independent and intelligent contributors to our society. Ever thought of it that way? Most people don't. In my own little circle of interaction, I associate with so many other SAHM's, that I feel very confident in my choice to stay home and I don't feel looked down upon because I don't get paid for my work. But that isn't always the case.

I remember going to my 10 year high school reunion. I grew up in a small town and was voted "Most Likely to Succeed" our senior year. Yikes--that's a lot to live up to! In my eyes, I WAS very successful. I had finished my schooling, dabbled a little with working as a hygienist, and had made the conscious choice to stay home. I have an amazing husband, two adorable kids, and I am TRULY HAPPY. Isn't that the definition of success? Yet when asked by my former classmates, "What do you do now?" I found myself saying, "Oh, I just stay home with my kids."

Just???

I didn't catch it until the weekend was over and it was too late, but I was so mad at myself for describing my job that way. I wish I would've said something more along the lines of, "I have the best job in the world--I stay home with my kids!"

Ok, maybe something a little cheesy would suffice. Maybe I should've just typed up this quote from the book and passed it out: "The dominant culture of which I had been a part[the working world] considered child-rearing unskilled labor, if it considered child-rearing at all. And no one was stating the obvious: if human abilities are the ultimate fount of economic progress, as many economists now agree, and if those abilities are nurtured (or stunted) in the early years, then mothers...are the most important producers in the economy. They do have, literally, the most important job in the world."

Yea, I'm sure that would've gone over really well. My friends probably would've written me off as a psycho crazy defensive obsessed mom.

Anyway, one of the other major points I got out of the book is that even though many economists agree that human capital is one of the most valuable assets in the economy, the hard work that I do every day doesn't figure into the Gross Domestic Product. Isn't that interesting? Here's how the author put it:

"Thus the great part of women's work does not figure. Nothing counts unless it is bought and sold. This produces absurd perversities: a nurse feeding formula to a baby counts as productive activity, but a mother's breast-feeding doesn't; care for an aging relative in a nursing home counts, while at-home care by an unpaid family member doesn't; paying bills and taxes and planning family investments counts when done by an accountant, but not when done by a spouse; charitable contributions of money are tax-deductible, but volunteer donations of time are not; teaching twenty children in a classroom counts, while home schooling one's own children doesn't."

Taking my daughter on an educational field trip to
the beach doesn't count toward the GDP??
What's up with that?

I'm not an economist. I have no idea how we could keep track of all the unpaid work that we do and somehow count it toward the GDP. Any suggestions?

Next time we're having a rough day with the kids, let's remember the monetary value of the job we're doing. And see if we can talk our husbands in to giving us some vacation time or quarterly bonuses. It's worth a try, isn't it?

10 comments:

Natalie said...

I loved this post. Especially since I would like to try and stay home with our kids if we ever have any. But I too worry about what the outside world thinks and how people will judge me for not going back to work.

I really enjoyed reading those quotes. I don't think it is possible to put a monetary value on raising your children, spending time with them, teaching them right from wrong, etc. But it is so important and I wouldn't trust anyone else to do it!

I hope that one day I will have the chance and be financially able to stay at home with my kids. Of course, when we finally get around to having them :).

Sandy said...

I love this post! I remember that about the time Kimball was born, there was a huge debate about the government (this was in UT) paying for childcare so moms could work. This totally rubbed me the wrong way -- of course, there are always people who NEED to work and I'm all for helping them...but at the time, I was finishing up my last year teaching and was surrounded by women who were definitely choosing a career over raising their children. My district supervisor even told me once that one of her kids (a little kid...like 5 or 6)asked her why she had to work all the time...her response was, "Do you like our big house? Do you like all your nice clothes and our nice cars? THAT's why I have to work." I was like, "WHA?? You're teaching your kids THAT??" I was constantly having to defend my position of quitting teaching to stay home with my daughter (and this was in UTAH where 99% of the teaching staff and administration were LDS). I was constantly being told I was wasting my talents and education by staying home for "just" one kid. My standard retort became, "Yes, but if I'm such a great teacher, wouldn't it be a waste of a perfectly good kid if I DIDN'T stay home and raise her myself?" Its not like the school would have never found another teacher to replace me!!

Anyway...it always bothered me that the government will pay for someone else to babysit your kids if you go to work, but offers nothing for those who decide to take care of their own kids. Not that I expect the government to give me anything -- I just don't like the one-sided angle. I wonder if the tables were turned and the SAHMs got some sort of tax credit or something, if more women would do it? If for no other reason than because they'd see that they were valued...I mean, it would be cheaper for the gov't to do that than to fork out all the money they do for their administration, paperwork, DFS, etc.that goes into the daycares they dump money into. My SIL owns a big commercial daycare and the government forks a LOT of money into that sort of thing.

Maybe we can get more recognition by turning it into "Look how much money I'm SAVING us by not working and taking care of my kids...", haha:) Somehow I think we're just going to have to rely on the non-financial rewards of staying home...they're better anyway:)

Paul-N-Daneen said...

Love this Post. I've been having doubts about how successful I am at being a SAHM and SAHS(stay at home spouse) Besides Carson I think I take care of Paul to. My sisters weren't that crazy when they told me that they needed a wife also to help out with the house work. After reading this post I think you should ask Andrew to hire you a personal assistant so you can spend more time helping your kids.

Joey/Denny/Emma said...

Great post, Andrea. I think I've heard of this book, but now I don't have to read it because you did such a good book review on it. Thanks!

The Normal Mormon Husband said...

Uh-oh. I just ran the numbers and determined that I owe Andrea $864,351.87 for all of the work she has done with our kids. She is also due a one-time bonus of $68,938 when child number three is born in May. Guess I'd better get that second job at the Quickie Mart.....

In all seriousness, all of you SAHM's should be very proud of what you are doing despite the societal pressures you feel to "work". I work with a lot of tremendously capable women who are happy with their career decisions and are very good at what they do. By complementing the SAHM's I am in no way judging them for working since it is a very personal/family decision that is made after a lot of consideration. I am very happy with the decisions we have made that have allowed Andrea to stay home with our knuckleheads and the eternal blessings her presence will have in their lives. You rock.

carrie said...

I'm not sure what to say except, WOW. What a powerful post. I was very touched as I read your thoughts and saw the pictures of you and your adorable kids within the commentary. Amazing! What an example! Thanks!
-bigger

Anonymous said...

What she said!
MIL

Amanda L said...

As one of the people that you came and talked to at the high school reunion...I still think you are one of the most successful people I've known in my lifetime. I enjoy your thoughtful comments and the wonderful work you do with your kids. As someone who is "just a teacher", thank you for loving your kids and doing things like take them to the beach. These priceless experiences will just add to their prior knowledge and help them to advance in school and eventually in life. I wish there were more SAHMs like you! :)

Leah and Mike said...

I just finished reading "I am a Mother" by Jane Clayson-Johnson and she quotes that book in hers. I'm so happy there's books out there reminding us, we're not 'just moms', but women shaping the future through raising our kids. Whenever I'm frustrated I try hard to see Hendrix serving a mission, or MilaBelle having a family of her own, it keeps me focused on the big picture.

Val said...

I found your blog from your husband's and his from mormon mommy wars while cruising the web. What a great post! I love being a SAHM and now that my youngest is going to Kindergarten in the fall everyone keeps asking if I will start working. I always want to say I already do but some of those people you just can't talk to about wanting to be home when your kids are. Although I love subbing at my son's preschool and have already told them I would do that next year too, it's just to have a little extra cash and I can turn it down if I want.
Sorry this is so long.
Oh ya, let your hubby know I have a brother that is 6'6" also. Small world;)(pun intended)