Monday, May 19, 2008

The ducks, the geese, and me

DUCKS waddle....


GEESE waddle....


Whitney and I went for a walk today and when we were done,
I had to put forth a concerted effort NOT to waddle when I walked.

While on our walk we discovered
that at least around here,

DUCKS are having babies....

GEESE are having babies....

I thought I was having a baby on Friday.
I even had Andrew take what I thought
would be my last pregnancy photo.
38 weeks along

I bear a striking resemblance to Bob the Tomato.
Don'tcha think?


We packed our hospital bags,
got things arranged for our friends
to watch the kids,
went down to the hospital...
And were sent home.
"Nice try, folks.
See ya in the next week or two."
Dang.

I'm actually feeling pretty good. My stomach muscles are doing so much better than they were a couple of weeks ago. So I'm not DYING to get Caroline out of there. BUT, it was so exciting on Friday morning to think, "We're going to have a baby today!" I was SO ready to meet her. Now it feels like the time is dragging as we get closer to the due date. (Eight days from today! But, who's counting?)

We had a pre-baby Family Home Evening lesson tonight. It included activities such as:

*practicing holding one of Whit's teddy bears the way they'll hold the baby

*showing the kids the location of both diaper stashes in the house so they can help get them when I ask

*a game of charades where we acted out what we're most excited about when Caroline comes. Whitney's excited to help burp her. Brandon can't wait to help her play with toys. I am looking forward to reading while nursing. Andrew is most anticipating cuddling up with Caroline while she falls asleep on his chest. So cute!

We'll keep you posted on any good news. Hopefully soon.

16 comments:

The Normal Mormon Husband said...

The whole waddle segment was great and the Bob the Tomato picture is classic! I was going more for a "Hey Kool-Aid" than Bob, though. Remember, no having babies until your parents get here to help.

Anonymous said...

You're much more beautiful than Bob.
What a great home evening you had.
Maybe next week you won't need the bear for a prop.
Love to you all,
G&G Hiatt

Megan said...

I remember a conversation we had long ago about nursing... I'm just glad to hear you're excited about it these days--even if it's just the reading part that excites you. Fingers crossed for sooner than later! The 3rd one is a DOOZY! :)

andrea said...

Ah, yes, Megan. My feelings about nursing have come a LONG way. :)

Unknown said...

I remember all too well my false trips to the hospital, they were a bit depressing. The good news is it will happen and you will have a beautiful baby soon. Great fhe idea, by the way.

Natalie said...

We look forward to the ducks and geese having their babies every spring! They are so cute! Can't wait to meet Caroline too. Let us know when things start to develop!

Sandy said...

You look great! And READY to be done!! Loved your Bob the Tomato analogy:) I need to know (seriously...I need to know...hint, hint) -- where did you get all those LONG maternity shirts???

Sandy said...

And...I'm a big fan of reading while nursing, too. Someone told me once that you should use that time to talk to your baby and look at them - I figure they'll just get overstimulated and use that time for some mama relaxation:)

Ang said...

Ah, I hate those fake-out hospital trips! But I'm so excited for you, even though we're miles away . . .

Laurie said...

Good luck! I hope it happens soon. The kids are now well prepared. I like the idea of training them to get diapers!

jax from the harmon squad said...

Just so you know, waddling when you're pregnant has nothing to do with how big you are, it's all about the bones. And I still think you are the most gorgeous pregnant woman I have ever met. Despite that, I'm still excited to meet Caroline! You'll have to let me hold her so I can get the baby hunger out of me:)

Anonymous said...

ohmygosh you are so big. And yet you look glorious pregnant, Andi! Nice, plump ripe fruit of a girl ready to be born. Caroline is a lovely name.

I had a false alarm with Russell. Mom and Dad Hiatt were here with me and off I went to the hospital, only to come back. You looked like you were still carrying kind of high in that picture.

This is so exciting, Andrew and Andi, you guys having a baby at the same time Tony and Cindy are having theirs. I wish I could be there to hold her and kiss her velvet cheek when she comes. Best of luck with the birth, post-partum and....nursing?? I have some suggestions that I can't put on a blog. What's your email?

Love,
Aunt Julie

Anonymous said...

I hate it when they send you home and you're all pumped to have the baby. They did that to me and ended up going in and staying the next day.

I love the duck analogy because I've been using it my whole life. I have to consciously not waddle every time I walk - and I'm not talking about when I'm pregnant.

carrie said...

oh, she's almost here! hearing about caroline for so long now has made me more anxious to meet her than i think i would have been otherwise. Ü

Anonymous said...

so cute that you have pictures of new ducks and chicks alongside your family photos - After being able to hold little Vivian this week, I came home and started planting flowers and the correlation between gently lifting the flowers out of their pots and putting them in the ground made me think of new Vivian for some reason. Just so fun to have new babies come in the springtime of the year I guess. Can't wait to hear from you some time in the next 6 or 7 days I'm guessing. Brandon and Whitney look wonderful. You look radiant and humble!
XO
Grandma Sweat

Marianne said...

Omigosh!!! I haven't checked your blog in a while....I had no idea you had a false alarm.....you didn't mention it last night!!!

I love your comparison to "bob the tomato"....you are too funny!!