Sunday, May 04, 2008

Race results

Despite my hesitations about whether or not this was a good idea, I bit the bullet and participated in the Race for the Cure yesterday. Definitely the right decision. It went really well. The race was HUGE this year. According to an article in the Winston-Salem Journal, there were 15,000 participants. If that's true, then the event nearly doubled in size from 8,000 last year. Isn't that amazing?

Here's a glimpse of some of us
making our way through downtown Winston-Salem.

I got lots of smiles, double-takes, and comments for hanging in there with the big belly and all. My friend's husband kept teasing me that the bicycle paramedic wasn't let me out of her sight. (I think he might've been right, too!) But it all worked out. Several of my friends ran the whole thing and most of the others were power walking, but thankfully my friend, Jayne's, mom was the perfect walking partner for me and we hung in there until the end. Woo hoo! (And it only took us about an hour and ten minutes to walk the three miles. Maybe that's some sort of record...but probably not.) I was a little sore yesterday, but today I feel fine. Maybe I should be walking three miles every day. I heard several predictions that I would go into labor as a result of this exertion, but no such luck. :)

Here are some of my friends
that shared the experience this year.

There were SO many survivors in attendance this year.
Do you see the sea of pink hats and shirts?
All of those women have battled breast cancer.

It was a humbling reminder to me of how prevalent this disease is. I'm so thankful I could play a small part in helping find a cure.

13 comments:

shelley said...

cool andrea! love the prego belly stuffed inside that shirt. i'm sure they didn't think to make any of their race for the cure t-shirts maternity! maybe next year because of you they will.

Jayne said...

Not only did you hang in there, at one point you and my mom were AHEAD of me!!

It was a great day. Thanks for coming. It was obvious from the traffic and the crowd at the starting line that there were WAAYY more people than last year.

Anonymous said...

Good for you!!! Maybe the latest movie out should be re-named "Iron Woman". Neither of us is sure we could do three miles in your time.
And neither of us is pregnant.
Thanks for sharing.
B&G Hiatt

carrie said...

i'm so glad it went well, and sorry we missed each other. i only came in ten minutes before you. so either that's not good for me as a non-pregnant woman, or it's fantastic for you. let's go with fantastic for you (that way it's win-win for both of us Ü). this was my first year participating and i had a blast. a very cool experience. i'm already planning on it again next year!

The Giles Files said...

You are awesome. Obviously (my mom) the Race for the Cure is near and dear to my heart. Thank you

Natalie said...

I am so glad you were able to complete the walk. Sounds like a lot of fun! Great job guys!

Unknown said...

Way to go! I'm sure all the comments and concerns were fun, now you can tell Caroline that she participated too!

Anonymous said...

Hi there - I am so proud of you and Caroline for participating in the walk for the cure! You both look wonderful - and you have raised my awareness of breast cancer! Thanks also for OOTMOB for April - I look forward to those every month and yet I forget about them too so it's such a bright spot in my day when I check your blog and see that's what it's all about - just think, you'll have 3 babe's mouths next time you post an OOTMOB!
Love,
Grandma Sweat

Sandy said...

What a great thing to do!! I'm glad Caroline was well-behaved for you:)

Ang said...

I just posted this long response and it disappeared! Here it goes again:

Andi, I'm so proud of you! What a great accomplishment, especially in your "delicate state." And it was so moving to see all those women in their pink hats and shirts.

There's a woman in my neighborhood who was recently diagnosed with breast cancer. She's 38 and has 5 kids from 3-13. She just had a mastectomy and is starting chemo. She's very strong and upbeat, but it's a sobering reminder that breast cancer can strike at any age. Thanks for reminding us too!

Dan and Marci said...

Cudos (SP) to you!! Walking never put me into labor either. It is awesome that you took part. Way to go.

heather n said...

Hi Andi, Its me Heather Norman (Eriks wife). I just wanted to let you know how cool are you to walk in that race when you are almost due. I get to participate in that same race on Sat.

The Normal Mormon Husband said...

Honey - You never cease to amaze me with the size of your heart (being involved with good causes) and the size of your belly (whoa!).

Love, Drew