Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Out of the mouths of babes--April

4/6--In the midst of our lazy conference-watching day today, Drew was lying on the floor and W. plopped herself down on his tummy, reclining onto his legs. In a mystical voice, she said, "I'm sitting in the chair of wonder." Hilarious. Then a few minutes later she had this interaction with herself, "I'm a teeter totter....NO, I'm not. I can talk. I'm a person."

Teeter totter or person?
You decide.

4/9--We try hard to teach our kids the gospel at home, but it's funny to hear their versions coming out in public. Today was a GORGEOUS day and we went to the park to soak up some sun. Whit brought some sand toys that she shared with some of the other kids. One of their moms said to Whit, "Thanks for being so nice and sharing your toys." Whit said, "Yea. God wants us to be nice. And so does Jesus!" No hesitancy with this little girl sharing her beliefs.

Another reason why we're supposed to be like little children.

4/11--Tonight Whit was preaching to ME, "Jesus loves EVERYONE....even adults."

4/16--My kids are GREAT sleepers and we very rarely have incidents in the middle of the night. Well, last night was one of those rare exceptions. Whit woke up sometime between 4:30 and 5 in the morning yelling at the top of her lungs, "I had a bad, scary dream!" We let her come into bed with us and were asking her what her dream was about.
W: It was about an ant.
Drew: Did you squish it?
W: No, it squished me.
(Andrew and I couldn't help giggle a little at that, which I think encouraged the next part of the comment.)
W: And then I stabbed it with my shooter....and then it farted.
(more giggling)
She is SO into body humor and potty humor right now. Wonder where she gets THAT.

4/18--Whitney is convinced that her 4th birthday led to a burst of intelligence. She was playing with an older friend, Savannah, today, and ever since then I've heard this, "Four-year-olds are really smart. Savannah told me that." It has continued to go on throughout the month. And ya know what? She is pretty smart.

4/19--Sometimes it's the things that come out of the parents mouths that surprise me. Like these two whoppers today. Who has to say this to their SEVEN-YEAR-OLD??
Drew: Brandon, stop licking your seat belt.
And later that evening, Me: B, stop licking the guitar.

Guh?

B, take off the princess roller skates.
And stop grabbing there.
We're so demanding.

4/20--Another one of Whit's quirks this month: she has decided to go by different names. I guess Whitney isn't good enough for her. She started off demanding to be called, "Bumble Umble" for a few days. Then she changed her mind and told me her name was "Lila." That one only lasted a few hours.

Maybe "Azalea" will be a future name.

4/24--Here was the way Whit described her dream from last night: I had the most beautiful dream of my whole life. There was a castle and a princess. The princess was Anna and the mom was Rosia. The dad was named Bill. They had a royal ball, but Anna's clothes disappeared. She was naked. She couldn't go to the ball naked so she looked for clothes. First she found a dress on the ground all torn. Then she saw a beautiful woman walking toward her. She had a beautiful name--more beautiful than any other name in town, Anna Rosia. She made princess Anna a more beautiful dress than anyone in town.


Wow, quite a storyteller here.

4/24--We were driving around in an unfamiliar part of town today and I mentioned something about getting lost. Brandon piped up from the back seat, "It doesn't matter if we get lost in the van because we can just stow-n-go the seats and sleep in the back. And then in the morning we could drive around and find somewhere to eat breakfast." Way to find solutions, babe.

4/24--In the same meandering van drive B. told us, "Sometimes at school we call my friend Brock, 'Brock O-Bomber' because he has such a good arm in football." I didn't realize the political ads had gotten to my son, but apparently they have.

4/25--We have been having some MAJOR behavioral problems with Brandon. I could write several long-winded posts just on that topic, but have decided that's not the nicest thing to do, so I'm trying to focus on the positive. Anyway, today he made a bad choice and lost ANOTHER day of video time as a result. When we told him his consequence, he lost it. Totally crying and throwing a fit in the car. One of the things he said totally cracked us up, "Did you guys go somewhere to learn how to torture kids?" Oh...my...gosh...if he only realized how good he has it.

4/27--We checked out a book from the library called, "First Kids." It's about former presidents' children and all their adventures in the White House. Tonight when Andrew was putting B to bed, Brandon said, "Being the Bishop's son is kind of like being a First Kid, huh?" Interesting observation, honey, but there are some crucial differences, which Andrew was quick to explain.

4/28--We were having a discussion at the dinner table about how one of our neighbors got his vintage car scratched up. Brandon knows how much this car means to our neighbor and said, "Bless his heart." What? Is he seven or sixty-seven? It sounds like such a grown-up thing to say.

4/29--W. is still taking naps about half of the time. This afternoon I asked her how her nap was and she said, "I held really still...like an ice cube." Great simile, Whit.

AND, great smile.

14 comments:

Natalie said...

This was a great one. So many gems to choose from! I love it when Whit said "Jesus loves EVERYONE....even adults." and Brandon's torture and bless his heart comments. Totally made me laught out loud. Did you learn new torture techniques in our women's conference class?

jax from the harmon squad said...

One of the benefits of living in the south- you get to pick up on sayings like bless his heart. And Whitney, when I was around your age I decided I wanted my name to be Nancy. I even made signs with that name on them and hung them around my room.

Joey/Denny/Emma said...

Whitney's imagination just boggles my mind. She really is a whimsical, creative soul, isn't she. And Brandon -- well, bless his heart. He's a doll.

shelley said...

Yep, you're the first family of the ward. I'm going to call you the first lady from now on. But you need to go get some dress suits to really look the part.

Emily Norman said...

Emily Norman here- Just had to tell you that I love it when you post these! I seriously laugh out loud. Your kids are so funny. Our kids say the darndest things, too- I seem to forget most of them, though. Boo. How do you manage to remember them all?

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this April issue of OMB.
Some real gems here.
G&G Hiatt

andrea said...

Hey, Emily! I have two methods for keeping up with this. I keep a little notebook in my purse and try to jot down notes if we're out and about when I hear them.

Plus, I just save a draft throughout the month on the blog, so if we're at home and one of the kids shares a deep thought, I try to just type a little blurb on my draft so I'll remember and can type out the whole thing later.

Do those make any sense?

The Normal Mormon Husband said...

Hill-Air-Eee-Us! Best OOMB ever. Reliving W's story about the nightmare of the ant squishing her and then farting cracked me up. Love the picture of Brandon with his hand where it shouldn't be. Wonder where he gets THAT from? (Ahem, ahem, Andrea) - Drew

Unknown said...

Kids are great, I know that our kids give us comic relief when we need it! I am glad to hear that I'm not the only mom carrying around a notepad and writing things down.

Ang said...

Brocko-bomber. That's classic. Another hilarious post!

carrie said...

these are quickly becoming some of my favorite posts. your kids have amazimg whit.
-bigger

Destiny said...

What a fun post. Your kids are so cute.

Unknown said...

I'm feeling guilty for poor blogging etiquette. I've been so pathetic with commenting but with Ryan working from home I'm like a vulture trying to get a minute on the computer. Anyway, thanks for all the laughs! I always sneak over here when I can steal a minute and ya'll never disappoint. We can't wait for the zoo trip! And some first-hand comedy!

Darrin said...

Talk about getting bigger! I can't believe how big your kids are! And you look fantastic! It's great to see what you guys are up to!