Monday, April 14, 2008

Some family firsts

We had some fun "firsts" in the family this week.

Whitney's first time flying a kite

With some of her fun money this month, W purchased a kite. We have been anxiously awaiting a windy day to use it and we got a little wind on Saturday, so we took it out. Oh...my...gosh. Whit was SO excited. It was one of the cutest things I've ever seen. I wish you could've heard her little voice when she said,
"Mom, I'm flying a kite!"
Too darn cute.

I remember the first time Brandon flew a kite,
it kind of freaked him out. I think the power of the
wind was a little overwhelming for him.
No fear in this little girl. I think she was
a little frustrated that it wasn't MORE windy.

Brandon even took a turn borrowing her kite.
(He spent all his fun money on football cards,
his new obsession. SO over Pokemon cards.)
When he was done he requested that I take his
picture with the kite, post it on my blog, and ask
the question, "Does this look right?"


First trip to the park to feed the ducks
(Ok, it's the first time this year.)
Ever since we got back from our chilly trip
to the zoo, the weather here has been GORGEOUS.
I have absolutely loved being able to play
outside with the kids--sans jackets!

With Whitney's eye dilated all the time, I
try to keep sunglasses on her. I'm sure
everyone just thinks I'm raising a little
diva, but I really do have her eye health
in mind. I thought the sun could actually
damage your eyes when they're dilated, but
the paperwork we got from Duke said to wear
sunglasses "for comfort" when outside.
Anyway, she does sure look cute in them.

First camping trip
Our ward at church held a camp out
this weekend. I was surely not going
to sleep on the ground with my big ol' body,
but the boys got in on the action.
Here they are in front of our cute little tent.
Luckily, the campground was only about half
an hour away, so Whit and I went out for
a couple of hours in the evening to socialize...
and then I came home to the sleep number bed.
Oh, yea.

The kids were fascinated and
Whit was a little scared of the big campfire.
Is it just me or do I kind of look like a
rhino in this picture? I think my belly
looks so funny.

Totally reminds me of the way rhinos have
those flaps on their bodies. Maybe I should
stop wearing that shirt.


Oh, phew. From the side it looks more normal.
Whit and I didn't want to miss out on the s'mores.
Yum!

The boys had a GREAT time camping. They played Capture the Flag until around midnight. Brandon was in little boy heaven! I don't think Andrew realized how hard camping would be on his old man back. He had a very stiff, painful day on Saturday when they got home. But he seems to be hanging in there now.

9 comments:

Marianne said...

What fun family times!!! I was so excited when I saw your tent---before I continued reading I thought "I can't believe Andrea a) went camping and b)camped while pregnant!!!" Well, I still am very impressed!!

How cute about Brandon wanting you to post asking if "this looks right?" He is too clever for his age!!

I hope you have a great day!

Natalie said...

That one picture of Brandon with the kite is so funny. Even more hilarious that it was his idea to post it and ask the question. He cracks me up!

And can Andrew fit in that small tent? It looks so tiny! We had so much fun playing capture the flag with B-train and Andrew. We have to do it again some time! My favorite part was when Brandon feel asleep guarding the flag.

Anonymous said...

Andrew must have had to sleep diagonally, with Brandon stuffed in a corner.

carrie said...

yes, just like a rhino. that was the first thing i thought. whatever!

how fun with the kite, i remember having a kite as a kid and loving it. Ü
-bigger

The Normal Mormon Husband said...

I had called Andrea on her cell phone from work while Whitney got the kite up for the first time. Even though I didn't see it, I heard the excitement in her voice. It was so cute. I feel like I'm missing too many precious "daddy moments" due to work. I'll resign tomorrow for the good of the family.

Oh, yeah. Rhino? I don't think so! Try more like a foxy-foxy fox fox.

-Drew

Sandy said...

You guys have had some fun family moments!! How nice to have great weather all the time:) While your rhino comment made me laugh, I think you look AWESOME as a pregnant lady:) In the third trimester, I look like one of those giant elephant seals flopping around on the beach. Except there's no beach here...and I don't move as much...:)

Anonymous said...

Brandon, only you could get away with posing for a picture with a Barbie kite and still look studly. I could feel the wind blowing when I looked at those adorable pictures of Whitney with the kite - and the rhino comment made me laugh out loud - you look bee-utiful as always.
Love,
Mom Sweat

Steph Kjelstrom said...

We had our first family camping trip last year with our ward. Well, Sammy had just become attached to his blanket but we didn't realize it and I forgot to bring it. After 30 minutes of screaming from him we packed up and went home. Crossing my fingers for this summer!

Unknown said...

I know I can always come here for a pick me up! We had our 1st kite experience with Avery last week and it ended with trees and tears. However, it was great fun while it was actually flying! We can't wait to meet you guys at the zoo!
Also, in case you don't have enough on your plate right now you've been tagged! Directions are on my blog. I never do this but thought it might be fun!