Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Out of the mouths of babes--March

A couple of days late, here is this month's installment of OOMB with a smattering of Easter pics I took of the kids. Enjoy!

3/2--As previously mentioned, I am in a clothing FUNK right now. I don't love my clothes, but I refuse to buy things that I can only wear for the next two months, so I'm just making do with what I have. I found a maternity dress in my closet that I had forgotten about and was all excited to wear it to church today. Here's what I heard when I came walking out of my bedroom:

W: That's a funny dress.
Me: Why?
W: It looks like a barrel.

Yea, that gives me a whole lot of confidence to go to church in it. Thanks, honey.

What do you think of my barrel dress?

3/2--After one of the speakers in church told a story about a blind man, B leaned over and asked me, "What if I had a blind bus driver?" Um, you'd immediately stop riding the bus, babe.

3/2--Tonight during scripture study, we were talking about trials and how the Savior can help us through them. Brandon was so cute. He said, "I'm having some pretty big trials at school. Emotional trials. Because when we play football on the playground, Jonah is always calling us off sides when we're not even off sides. And when we play soccer, he calls fouls when we're fifteen feet away from them!" Oh, to have the trials of a six-year-old again.

Life can be rough, even when you're
this good looking.

3/6--Deep thoughts from Whitney over breakfast this morning: "Mom, what if I was you and you were me?"

Oooh, good one, Whit.

My reply: "Well, I'd have so much fun going to preschool and dressing up like a princess and playing up in my playhouse if I were you. What would you do if you were me?"

Whit: "I'd do lots of nice things."

Girl, you know how to win my heart. "Like what?"

W: "I'd make sandwiches for Brandon. And cook ravioli for dinner."

Such a little charmer

3/8--In the most helpful voice possible, Whit just announced, "I tuned your guitar for you, Daddy!" I doubt it's in a key anyone would enjoy listening to.

3/8--Heard from the backseat
W: Hey, look at me. I'm asleep!
B: No, you're faking.
W: No I'm not!

I'm SO not faking this smile!

3/13--This is what W learned at school today, "Anna says that gas ice cream is good. I told her it's nasty."

3/15--After hearing Nicolle sing an absolutely BEAUTIFUL song at a funeral today, here was B's six-year-old commentary on her vibrato, "It's like there's a whammy bar on her body somewhere." I think that means he liked it.

3/16--During scripture study tonight, this is the conversation B and Andrew had:

Drew: Do you know what it means to turn the other cheek?
B: No.
D: It means if somebody hits us, we shouldn't hit them back.
B: REALLY?
D: Yep.
B: (completely disappointed) Awwww......dang it!

Hmmm...Did he have an impending fight planned that he had to cancel? We may never know.

We hope the fight had nothing to
do with his sister.

3/17--Brandon's school work from last week included

"Brandon's Story of his Life," an autobiography.

It was so cute. Here are a couple of my favorite lines:

"I had lots of emotions till I was one and a half."

"When I was 5 and a half I was rideing a ride named the three sixty. It is a ride at wet 'n' wild. It is a fun ride but back then it freaked me out! Plus I did a three sixty inside! (I guess that's why it called the three sixty!) Now my family found out that I have not broke an arm. And I know times." [I think he's talking about his times tables at the end.]

3/18--After our visit to see her favorite eye doctor today, W said, "I smell like Dr. Buckley's office!" Hmmmm...interesting.

3/19--I volunteer in B's classroom once a week and this was the conversation I had with one of his classmates. Keep in mind that he's in FIRST grade.

D: Do you have a man?
Me: What do you mean? Like a husband?
D: Yea.
Me: Yes, I have a husband.
D: (kind of embarrassed) Oh, because I just wanted to ask you if we could be friends.

Are you kidding me? Do I have "a man"? Cracked me up.

3/21--On our road trip today, Whit was really proud of herself, "I know how to spell tee-pee. It's just a T and then a P!"

Can't trick this little girl.

3/26--After W had her picture taken with Goofy yesterday, we ran into him again at the park today. She was super excited, "Hey, Goofy! It's me, Whitney!"

Once you've hugged Whit, you better recognize
her the next day at the park! I don't care if
you have seen THOUSANDS of other cute girls.

3/30--While giving us our goodnight hugs and kisses tonight, Whit randomly said, "I wish I could fly!"

3/31--I've mentioned before that one of W's chores around the house is to unload the silverware when I run the dishwasher. She just finished unloading this morning and declared, "I'm the silverware queen!" Way to take pride in your jobs, honey.

14 comments:

carrie said...

what great comic relief for the day. i was laughing out loud. this stuff is too good, i don't think you could make it up if you tried!
-bigger

shelley said...

well, at least you know the maternity clothes are working on some level if the super fly 1st grader wanted to know if you had a man. hahahaha! hilarious, and sad social commentary on the state of marriage.

The Normal Mormon Husband said...

Honey,

I figured out why Brandon was so disappointed about the whole "turn the other cheek" lesson. Maybe he wanted to mix it up with his classmate who has the crush on you.

-Drew

Natalie said...

That classmate's comment cracked me up! Do you have a man? Ha ha ha. And I love that Whit was like hey Goofy, it's me Whitney!

Anonymous said...

"Do you have a man?" That's hilarious! The kids look very cute in their Easter clothes.

Carrie said...

My favorite was definitely Whitney and Goofy. Of Course he should remember her!!! : ) How cute!
~Carrie

Destiny said...

Good laughs. Your kids are too cute. I love how their little brains come up with the most unexpected things to say. You are looking good with only a few months left.

Sandy said...

So funny!! My faves are the whammy bar and your little admirer at school:) TOO CUTE!

Anonymous said...

Loved each of these but have to admit that "Hey, Goofy! It's me Whitney," and "Aw..dangit!" made me smile all over again today when I thought about them!
Love to you all,
Mom Sweat

Ang said...

When I was preggo with Wyatt and running out of clothes, I found a long lost maternity overalls short set (yes. yes. I realize) from 1996 (even worse) and decided to wear it because everything else was dirty. I had to run to the kids' school for some reason, and Elise was outside walking around the track with her class like they do every morning. I could see her looking at me, and looking, and when I finally got close enough for her to be sure it was me she ran up to me, quick, and whispered fiercely in my ear, "Mom! What are you WEARING!"

I laughed my head off.

Andi, I so love your OOMB posts. Not only do they make me laugh, but they make me want to be a better mom.

Marianne said...

I think you look fab!!!! You should be a model for prego woman/clothing!!!

Your kids are too cute!! It will be so fun for all of you to have an additional member of the family!!!

Unknown said...

Kids say the best things don't they. I can't believe a 1st grader tried to pick you up...at least we know he has good taste! I love the conversation from 3/8 about faking to be asleep, it reminds me of my kids, ha ha!

great post!

Steph Kjelstrom said...

I laughed so hard about the whammy and man comments! Thanks for the cheap entertainment!

Greg and Nicolle said...

I went to Nashville this weekend, and got my maternity clothes back from my sister. I'll bring them by... I don't have much, but it might help a little with your clothing funk!