Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Learning, Growing, Exploring

Learning

Three cheers for me--I finished my Physical Science 100 class today! Woo hoo! After getting off to a good start last year, I really trudged through this class. I put off everything until the last minute. Tomorrow is the very last day I could've taken the final and since Whit's in school today, I decided to take it this morning. I'm pretty sure I passed, but maybe I should put off the real celebration until I get my grade back. hee hee.

Next class: Advanced writing. With all the writers in my life, I should have plenty of help here. And I think I'll need it. I'm going to wait to the fall to enroll. I'm giving myself a "get-out-of-class-free" card for the next five months.

Growing

I'm not sure exactly what happened over Spring Break. I didn't put on a ton of weight, but apparently I crossed some threshold in pregnancy because now I hear things like, "Wow, it looks like you're going to have a BIG baby." And "How much longer do you have?" And "Bless your heart." And these aren't isolated comments. I hear them regularly. Even with my abnormally high self esteem, you can only hear things like this so many times before you start feeling like a whale.

Come on, I don't look THAT huge, do I?
I mean, you're supposed to look pregnant
when you're 30 WEEKS ALONG, right?
(This pic was taken in FL. I'm 33 weeks today!)

To top it all off, at my midwife appt last week, I actually ended up losing 3 pounds instead of gaining 2 which would've been ideal. (I never got as sick as Andrew and B, but did get some sort of lingering stomach bug...yuck.) And my belly also measured 2 cm too small. So I need to have an ultrasound next week just to see how Caroline is measuring and make sure everything's ok. I am not in panic mode yet. I had a similar experience with Whit. She just ended up being on the smaller side(6 lbs 6 oz), which I was perfectly happy with. I personally felt like Caroline was going to be a big girl so was surprised to hear that I'm measuring small. It just adds to the confusion, though. Wait, I'm supposed to be BIGGER than this??? What kind of comments would I hear then? Anyway, I'll keep you posted.

Exploring

The kids had a Teacher Workday yesterday, so we went down to the zoo with some friends. When I planned this trip, it was SUPPOSED to be a beautiful, sunny 65 degree day. Darn weathermen got it wrong and instead it was a cloudy, chilly 58 degrees. We bundled up and managed to have a good time. Between my friend Michelle and me, we brought two teenage girls, three school-age boys, two preschool girls, and an adorable baby boy. The differences between the boys and girls were stark.


The girls held hands while going down the slide.

The boys tried to stuff wood chips down each others pants.

The boys would race each other trying to climb
every possible edifice throughout the zoo.

The girls climbed a few things, too, and then
they'd pose at the top for cute pics.

The boys would glance at the animals
on exhibit and then hurriedly start
climbing the next possible obstacle.

The girls would stare in wonder
until we told them it was time to
move on to the next exhibit.

My friend and I would just look at each other with smiles and our faces, shrug our shoulders, and say, "Boys." They kept things exciting.

13 comments:

shelley said...

Boys! And I'll make a sign for you to wear to church that says "I'm measuring 2 cm smaller than I should so don't tell me I look huge!". Oh wait. You don't go to RS so you will be spared the going-inactive-because-of-your-comments comments. The YW just think you're adorable. (When I'm pregnant w/ the next one, I'll get to stand in front of the ENTIRE WARD every week for them all to judge me. Lucky me!)

Destiny said...

I love it how everyone thinks they can comment on your body when you're pregnant. I think you look adorable.

Natalie said...

The boys stuffing wood chips down each others pants comment cracked me up! Where do they come up with these crazy ideas?

Joey/Denny/Emma said...

Andrea, you look GREAT! Sometimes I think people make goofy comments because they don't know what to say... The zoo trip looks like fun, and frankly 58 degrees sounds positively balmy with the lousy weather SLC has been having.

Sandy said...

You look awesome! I agree with Destiny's comment - its weird how everyone thinks they can comment on your body because your PG - no one would dare say anything otherwise! Maybe they think your belly looks big because the rest of you still looks so thin:) Next time someone says something just say, "Yeah...we're going for a 10 pounder this time":)

The Normal Mormon Husband said...

Hon,

You're a beautiful pregnant woman. So if the Laker win the NBA title this year and Brandon and I celebrate the victory by overturning cars, smashing widows, and looting small businesses, can we get the "Boys" treatment? Don't worry, we wouldn't break our windows or overturn our vehicles.

Drew

Anonymous said...

To quote that dashing romantic guy on TV a few decades ago, "Dawling,
you look mawvulous".
Hey, Hawaiian mumus work well.
As for boys climbing every edifice,
don't you know boys have an "edifice complex"?
Thanks for the update.
Love you all.
G & G Hiatt

Marianne said...

What a fun outing to the zoo!

Congrats on finishing your class!!!

And, I've said it before and I'll say it again....I think you look hot as a pregnant lady!!

Anonymous said...

Way to go on finishing your class-I keep forgetting that you're in school - and the next semester will be dedicated to the School of Rock--a-Bye! You look perfectly adorable as always and loved the pictures of the kids at the zoo - just think, Caroline will probably have a whole different take on things - it will be fun to see what she's like!
Love,
Grandma Sweat

Anonymous said...

When I was about 8 weeks along and people at church were starting to find out, I had a woman come up and rub my belly and say congratulations. That's always the weirdest for me - I'm not a touchy person. It was especially weird then because I wasn't showing. It's funny how your body is suddenly not your own and besides the person inside taking it over, people outside think they have free reign to rub your stomach and comment on its size. You look great though - you always do!

carrie said...

CONGRATS on finishing your class! that is definately something to be proud of! woohoo!

and everyone has been going to the zoo lately. if i think too much about it, i might start to feel left out...oh wait you all have kids. what would be my excuse for going? Ü
-bigger

Unknown said...

I think you look great! People must just be saying those things because they are jealous of you!

Oh an I think you will do very well in a writing class, I always love your writing.

Laurie said...

I'm in the same boat right now at 28 weeks. I get most comments from men. They seem to feel they have to say something. I got into an elevator the other day with a man and he said, "Had a big lunch?" And then he burst into great laughter. He thought it was hilarious. I wasn't insulted of course, but didn't find it as funny as he did.