Saturday, May 31, 2008

Out of the mouths of babes--May

I have to apologize in advance. The kids have said some pretty cute things since Caroline has been home, but ya know, the whole giving birth thing was exhausting and I didn't have the energy to a) get up and write them in my handy dandy notebook or b) hop on the computer and save them in my monthly draft. So, in the haze of post-partum sleepiness, the cute sayings have mostly been forgotten. Boo on that!

Here are the things I caught BEFORE bringing home baby.

5/4-I have a CD of Sarah Brightman, an opera singer, that we were listening to on the way to church today. Some of her songs are in foreign languages. During one of them, Brandon said, "Hey, this is Italian. I want cheese pizza!"

5/5-While we were out in the backyard today, Andrew commented that he was getting attacked by mosquitos. (They love him!) Whitney said, "I don't want to get bit by Spaghettios!"

5/9-Completely random thought from W today: "I wish I could shoot a bow and arrow." Huh.

I wouldn't have pegged her as an archery lover.
Who knew?

5/9-We attended a BBQ with some friends from church tonight. Being the anti-meat girl that I am, we don't even own a grill, so BBQ's are kind of novel territory for my kids. Whit watched our friend, Greg, start up the charcoal briquettes and told me later, "That boy was roasting rocks!"

While sitting around the table that same evening, Whitney asked, "What's a carpool? Is it where you put a car in a pool?

5/13-Whitney and I love sitting out in the backyard and eating lunch together. The weather has been PERFECT for that lately. Sometimes at the end of our meal, we start playing "Name That Tune." She's pretty good at it. Today she was humming a tune and I just couldn't figure out what it was. I told her, "I give up. What song is it?" She said, "I don't know." Guess she's still learning the rules of that game.

5/15-W loves for us to read stories to her, but she also loves it when we just make up stories to tell her. Andrew is much better at this than me, but today she requested that I tell her one. After my lame attempt, I told her it was her turn. In her story, she used the words "suddenly" and "prime minister." Where does she get this vocabulary?

Future Scrabble champion?

5/18-Sometimes it's not what they say, but what they DO that cracks me up. I found this picture of B on my camera today:
He told me he took it himself.
What's up with the gang signs?

5/21-Brandon was digging in my friend's yard and got himself FILTHY. As we were leaving, I said, "B, I wish you wouldn't have gotten so dirty." He said, "Well, Mom. That's a man's job....working in the dirt." Where does he come up with this stuff?

And his other job--
wearing balloon hats.

5/25-Brandon was reading a book to me that had the word "perspiration" in it. I asked him if he knew what that meant. He said he didn't. I said, "It means sweat." He giggled and said, "My friends will need to call me Brandon Trey Perspiration now!"

5/25-The kids were being especially cooperative this afternoon and I said, "Thanks for being such good helpers!"
B: "We LOVE helping!"
W: "Yea. And we LOVE candy!"

Oh, and we love swimming in the hot tub!

5/29-Here's the one post-baby comment that sticks out to me. When the kids came to meet Caroline in the hospital, Brandon pushed on my belly and said, "Hey, you're skinny again! (pause) And kinda squishy." Yea, I'd forgotten exactly how squishy I'd still be.

Worth all the squishiness in the world.

And a bonus picture of Caroline:
3 days old

15 comments:

Joey/Denny/Emma said...

Oh yippee, I'm the first to comment. So I can be the first in a long line of folks telling you that your kids do indeed say the darndest things and that Caroline is ADORABLE. And I'm very impressed with your ability to post so soon after giving birth.

Destiny said...

What a fun post again! Caroline is too cute. How is it with the 3? Hope all is going well.

Sandy said...

Fun post! Isn't Brandon making the Vulcan Salute in his "gang sign" picture? That might be a little geekier, but at least slightly less disturbing:) Caroline sure is a cutie pie - and is in good company with that cute older brother and sister!

Megan said...

That's my husband the dietitian, the rock roaster. I'll add that to his list of nicknames, in addition to "a vessel of honor, anyways". Caroline is so cute!

Anonymous said...

Great blog. Thanks for the pictures, especially the latest of Caroline. She's a beauty.
Before you know it, you'll be including some of the things she says.
G&G Hiatt

Anonymous said...

Precious Caroline! Congratulations, Andrew and Andi! She has the most adorable duck mouth, just like Andrew! (Barbie, tell me this is true. Don't worry, it's a compliment).

Way to go guys. You're all incredible.
Love to you,
Aunt Julie

Anonymous said...

Precious Caroline! Congratulations, Andrew and Andi! She has the most adorable duck mouth, just like Andrew! (Barbie, tell me this is true. Don't worry, it's a compliment).

Way to go guys. You're all incredible.
Love to you,
Aunt Julie

Anonymous said...

Am I repeating myself. Well, I guess it bears repeating!

Hooray for cutie pie Caroline!

Anonymous said...

Ohhhhhh...I love that last picture! I think it's hilarious that Whitney wants to shoot a bow & arrow and that Brandon's already making Sweat jokes. (-: Thanks for the post!

Ang said...

Hey Perspiration Family! Love the new pics of Caroline. And she does have Andrew's duck mouth AND Andrew's eyebrows. And she still manages to be beautiful! :-)

Natalie said...

I love the balloon hat and the fact that Whit wants to learn how to shot a bow and arrow.

jax from the harmon squad said...

The day Max was born, my family came to visit me in the hospital, and my sister was like "you still look pregnant." What are mothers thinking staying squishy after the baby comes out? (And she doesn't have an excuse, unlike Brandon- she's 16) And I love that Whitney was trying to get some candy out of helping. She's so sneaky... and I can't wait to hear about all the things that'll come out of their mouths with a new baby in the house!

Anonymous said...

There are now lip marks on my computer screen where I kissed that last darling picture of Caroline - she looks so happy - like she's ready to burst into giggles! Thanks so much for sharing. I am blown away at the mental energy it takes for you to create "OOTMOB" every month and that you did it this soon after having a baby - incredible. I loved reading every comment and all of the pictures too!
You guys are just too much!
Love to all of you,
Mama Perspiration

Steph Kjelstrom said...

Congrats! I'm glad she arrived and all is well. Newborns are the best-those all nights aren't so great but they don't last forever

carrie said...

as always, another great month of treasures. and that picture of all THREE of your kids is just too much!!