Saturday, September 06, 2008

A few of my new favorite things

Once in a while you come across a book or item and you just want to share it with others so they can have that same satisfaction or joy that you got out of it, right? Well, I've made several new discoveries lately that I wanted to pass on.

*BUMBO
Is this the cutest thing?

I've seen these new fangled bumbo seats around, but they seemed too dang expensive for what you're getting. So I kept my eye on Craig's list and found this one. Yes, it's blue, but I'm OK with that. I think it's so cute that Caroline can actually sit up and look around. She likes it and will hang around in it for short periods of time, but gets sick of it after a while. I think she enjoys being able to see more than just the ceiling, but it's like her muscles get tired of holding her upright. Anyway, it has been great in small doses. And if I cover it with a blanket, it's an easy way to take pictures of her upright.

*Yummy chocolate spread
We've discovered World Market over the last few months. What a fun place to shop! The other day I had the kids with me and we came across this chocolate caramel spread that sounded too good to pass up. Oh, man. It rocks! I guess it's similar to Nutella??

For FHE treats the other week, we roasted marshmallows over the stove and made s'mores with the spread for our chocolate. Decadent. I'm drooling right now.

*Skechers version of Fit Flops
Have you heard of Fit Flops? They are these sandals that are supposed to make it more of a workout when you walk. I passed a woman walking in my neighborhood who had them on and stopped to talk to her about them and she raved about how great they were. Ever since then I've been wanting a pair. But when I got online to look at them, I found that they cost fifty bucks. What? For flip flops?? Then I looked on eBay for new pairs but they were closing at around $48. Still too much for me. Well, when I was on my scrapbooking getaway and hit the Skechers store, I found these for $20. That's more like it. They are really comfortable and I LOVE them.

*Puzzles
I'm going out on a limb here and saying that we are a puzzle family. Especially since we had kids. Both Brandon and Whit enjoy puzzles and it's something fun for us to do with them. Well, I found these "Time for Us" puzzles at Target that are perfect for families with kids.

If you look closely, you can see that the left half of the puzzle is made of adult-sized pieces and the right side is kid-sized. How cool is that? They are a little pricier than plain puzzles, but have been worth it for us. Lots of fun.

I found this Star Wars "quizzle" at Tuesday Morning for $3.
Yay for bargain hunting!
Paul and Daneen helped us put it together over Labor Day weekend.
After you assemble all the pieces, there are little ovals with names
on them and you have to identify the Star Wars Characters.
Brandon is a fan of this one. And he knows so many more of
the characters' names than me!

*Facebook
I can just hear my Mom saying, "If your friends all jump off a bridge..." Yes, Mom, apparently I'd jump, too. I think it was purely because some of my friends did it, I signed up for Facebook a couple of weeks ago. I've loved it. It has been fun to find friends that I hadn't kept in touch with for a long time. It's one of those sites where I could end up spending A LOT of time, but so far have tried to limit.

There you go. Any new discoveries to share with me?

9 comments:

The Oregonians said...

May the force be with you on facebook.

Anonymous said...

Hi Andrea - Wonderful to catch up on all your adventures and feel your enthusiastic, creative and happy spirit. My new discovery? Yard sales in Denver with Amy and Dave! What fun - they're everywhere! I bought a pencil holder with a windmill attached to it - how could I have lived this long without it?
Love to you all!
XO
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMwahhh
Grandma Sweat

shelley said...

all i have to say is fit flops and facebook. you know what i'm talking about. :)

Gouch Smith said...

I just bought a bumbo for Milo (I feel like a real sucker right now though because I paid full price.) I've been wanting one but Gouch thought they looked dumb, then we saw one on your blog and Milo is always trying to sit up so he caved. Hooray!! I'm definitely going to have to get one of those puzzles, I love puzzles but the kids always want to help me and mine our too hard, theirs are too easy. I'll also have to look for that Star Wars game my kids are total NERDS, just like their dad. Nikki is always teaching her friends the lineage of the Star Wars characters.

Loved your update. Now I have to go spend money.

Natalie said...

You better friend me on facebook!

Anonymous said...

We're a puzzle family too! Maybe that's dorky to admit, but I think they're fun. What a great idea to have it for adults and kids.

I'm going to start searching for a Bumbo as well. I think Angie had one for Wyatt and like it too. Caroline looks so old sitting up in it.

carrie said...

i'm so glad to see there are others that got pulled onto the facebook wagon. i just got started myself. have a friend who won't blog because she puts everything on facebook. so, if i wanted to keep up with her, i had to.

you know you are all going to get friend invites from me now. Ü

Laurie said...

Good idea to look for a bumbo on Craigslist! I don't want to pay $40for one.

The puzzles from Target sound like a great idea. We should try that.

Thanks! I love new discoveries. I'll share one of myself here in a few days....

curly girl said...

It's weird...I didn't think that by the time my "baby" was 5, I'd already be saying, "Boy, I wish they had that when you were a baby!" but that's the case w/those bumbos! Holy cow, she would've been soooo much happier sitting up, scopin' out the action!

And thanks for the puzzles-at-Target recommendation! We love puzzles...esp as we listen to Gen Conf (is that bad?), so great timing!

I've been sucked in by facebook, too. I've wondered if it's bad form to make friends with someone just 'cause I want to try to get in touch with a sibling or friend of theirs? Is that using them? ;)