Thursday, July 24, 2008

Other random vacation moments

Phew. We made it back. I survived the 4 hour cross-country flight with three kids and it feels great to be home. We had a wonderful time out in Utah. (Great place to visit, but, no, we don't plan on moving there anytime soon. Sorry, Mom.) Since I don't want to share all 486 photos that I took(lucky you!), here is a smattering of highlights.

Dinosaur National Monument
The Uintah Basin, where my parents live, is known for having a high concentration of dinosaur fossils. They have a great museum that we've visited a few times, but this trip my mom took us out to Dinosaur National Monument, a national park.

Yee haw! We got to ride on the back of a brontosaurus.

We saw some amazing petroglyphs.
I love stuff like that!

And we went on a little hike.
The kids were NOT excited about that.
We had to bribe them AND threaten punishment
to get them to cooperate, but my mom and I
sure enjoyed it.

BYU
We made our annual pilgrimage to our alma mater. Yes we are trying to instill a love of the Y in our kids from a young age. We got our cultural fix at the Museum of Art, got some great deals at the bookstore sidewalk sale, and enjoyed a quick lunch at the Wilk. Ah, the memories.

Future Cougars?
(Look closely to see the Y on the mountain)

Yuba Lake
We spent one day (and the boys spent the night) out at Yuba Lake with Andrew's side of the fam. It was a perfect day for it. Andrew and I got to water ski. Brandon tried knee-boarding once. (It wasn't a pretty wipe out and he didn't volunteer for a second try.) And both kids liked playing in the mud at the beach.

Perfect water for skiing.
I'm hoping I don't bite it when
I go over the wake.
(I didn't.)

Andrew took the kids on a little raft ride.
Whitney was terrified that they were going to sink.
(They didn't.)

What a little supermodel.
Ooh la la.

Cousins galore!
It
is so fun for our kids to hang out with their cousins. We are blessed to have cousins close to their ages on both sides of the fam. They get along great...for the most part...now that Brandon is mostly over his bullying/pestering phase. :)

Carson and Whit at our family reunion

Eli, Reagan, Jane, B, Lauren, and W
at Temple Square

C and B swimming in Vernal

B, Josh, and Carson all have July birthdays,
so we celebrated together.
Lucky B got TWO parties!

Uintah Canyon
My parents took us up in the mountains for a cookout and so Paul and my Dad could do a little fishing. It was so pretty.
We love Grandpa!

Bridal Veil Falls
I LOVE waterfalls, so convinced Andrew and the kids that we needed to stop and take a little hike to see this one. Again, the kids were NOT excited. Where is the sense of adventure, guys??? I only got a glimpse before they were ready to head back to the car, but it was worth it.
Gorgeous!
(I meant the waterfall.)

Days of '47 Parade Preview
Cindy
took us to see all the floats before the big Pioneer Day parade in Salt Lake. It was so awesome. The parades we've seen in NC don't have floats, so it was a completely new experience for my kids. They were very impressed.

B's favorite was the Utah Jazz float
(Hmmm...maybe we should make an annual
trip to the Staples Center to convert him to
being a Lakers fan???)

He also loved the BYU one

Whit loved this one with a princess castle and dragon.

Temple Square
Another stop that was more for me than the kids.

They endured it, while I treasured it.

Family
Look at all the family members we got to visit:

Andrew's side

My side

I'm so grateful that we could take this trip and visit with all of them and have them all meet little Miss Caroline. It was fun and crazy and busy. I'm looking forward to settling back into a routine here at home and catching up with all of our friends.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you guys were able to come out and we were able to be there all at the same time! It was great to meet Caroline and I couldn't believe how much Brandon & Whit have grown up since we saw them last.

I'm glad you survived the flight back home. Really, did it go alright? I don't know how you managed to carry all the luggage plus Caroline - and when/where to feed her. Baby logistics can be so difficult.

Cute pictures! And I want to add congratulations to Destiny.

Sandy said...

Wow you packed a lot into one trip! Even though you said you had to force a few activities on the kids, they all look happy in the pictures! Either you're a good photo editor, or it was all a grand success!!

Isn't it funny how all the things you totally take for granted while actually going to BYU become vacation activities later? We totally do that, too -- have our list of places to go to and restaurants to eat at every time we go to Utah. But now we don't have to save our pennies for a month to go to those places (we're down to two weeks now, haha).

Unknown said...

Looks like a great time...makes me want to take a trip out there.

Vlazny's said...

I think I started to miss all the fun things to do in Utah. When I lived there I didnt care so much, now that I see the pictures and hear from you it makes me want to take a visit and do all those exciting things.

It looks like you all had a great time! We are happy to have you back. I think Caden missed Brandon!

Natalie said...

Glad you guys had such a fun trip. Whit's face in that boat picture is hilarious.

Anonymous said...

"Gorgeous" -- Don't you mean Caroline, too?

Angelica's Family Adventures said...

I thought after your last post that you were back & Jessica just got here with her kids on the 15th. I should have just called you, or you should have called me with all the other crazy adventures you had going on. Would have, could have, should have but we didn't. You did some stuff we were doing too, so funny. Looks like you had a blast.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the memories - and all the great pictures - glad you made it back home in one piece - or 5 pieces and hope you're settling into a routine now with everyone - we love you and miss you all! I look at the pictures all the time and relive all of the fun things we did while you were here - MAN we packed it in!!
Love,
Grandma Sweat