Monday, July 14, 2008

Utah trip--part 1

I think this is the longest I've ever gone without blogging since I started two years ago. No, my computer didn't crash. I haven't entered the witness protection program. I can't even blame it on Caroline occupying all my time. So why the delay? We've been way too busy having FUN! That's a good excuse, right?

We took an extended vacation to Utah and have LOVED seeing so many of our family members and celebrating a couple of big events, too. I have too many pics, so decided I better break this up into a couple of posts. First stop: Andrew's side of the fam. All of Andrew's siblings were in town (along with all thirteen cousins--with one more on the way!) We had lots of good times. Here are some of the highlights.

Caroline's blessing
Since we were going to be out west with so many relatives around, we decided to go ahead and do Caroline's blessing.
My mom got this beautiful dress for her.
I loved it.

It was really nice to not have to worry about the
stress of getting ready for church and getting there
on time, etc. We held the blessing at Andrew's parents' home.

Four generations

Look at all these great men who got to participate.
You are loved, little girl!

Grandma Rose got to meet her namesake,
Caroline Rose

Our niece, Vivian, was blessed earlier the same day.
She was pretty laid back about the whole thing, too. :)

Fourth of July
We had a pretty low-key 4th. Wait--is that possible with 13 kids and 10 adults? We all hung out at Andrew's parents house and had a great time--snow cones, new games involving wooden sticks(can't remember that weird name), and of course fireworks. Whitney was very hesitant about those, but we still enjoyed them.

Tony and Andrew played the most hard-fought game of
badminton EVER! Several shuttlecocks were harmed
in the filming of this game.


Caroline and Vivian hung out together while
their daddies played pool. These cousins are only
two weeks apart. We see lots of fun visits for them
in the future.

Wee! I lined up most of the older cousins for this fun
picture. It took several tries. Only minor injuries were sustained.


Check out these buff boys.
Don't mess with them!

Patriotic family photo

Picnic up the canyon
We
took a gorgeous drive up Big Cottonwood Canyon for a picnic. We celebrated Brandon's birthday (slightly belated) while we were up there.

He is such a cutie, especially when he's
the center of attention. What a big seven year old!
I can't believe next year at this time we'll
be planning his baptism!

North Carolina is beautiful, but I do miss the mountains.
You don't see anything like these out there.

One of the fun things about having so many cousins
is that there is always someone to hang out with.
Reagan and B had fun racing through obstacle
courses and timing each other.

Random pics
Ready. Set. Jump!
We went swimming one morning and I loved this pic
of the older cousins jumping in. Cowabunga!

Cutie Caroline at six weeks old.
This girl is easily my most high-maintenance child. Poor thing. I think she has some digestive issues and/or colic. There are times when she just cries so hard like she's in a lot of pain and nothing that I do will soothe her. Thankfully, those moments are getting to be less frequent as she gets older. In her pain-free moments, she is a very smiley, happy girl. The other great thing about her: she is a good sleeper. She hardly ever cries at night. When she does wake up hungry, I just hear her grunting and gurgling in her crib. And after I feed her she goes right back to sleep 90% of the time. That's a HUGE blessing. Plus, the last two nights she has only woken up ONCE. That is awesome. I hope it's the start of a long-lasting trend.

Stay tuned for more pics and updates. Hopefully the next one won't take two weeks.

16 comments:

Vlazny's said...

Sounds like your vacation is going well. We do miss you miss you. Caroline is getting big. She looks so beautiful in her blessing dress. What a cute bunch of cousins. B and W look so happy!
You make me want to make a trip to Utah just to see the mountians. Since I dont live there anymore I enjoy going there more and more.
Have a great rest of you trip!

heather n said...

Looks like fun! Too bad we couldn't get together for a few. Maybe next time. Take care

Gouch Smith said...

Your kids are gorgeous. I finally updated my blog with a picture of Milo. Hope your having fun in our hot Utah weather.

Anna

Marianne said...

Caroline looks so much like Brandon in the piture w/ her cousin!

Cute pictures!!! I'm glad you're home. We never got to finish our call!! :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update and pics. It's been great seeing you all.
G&G Hiatt

Unknown said...

Looks like so much fun. I would LOVE to be able to get out to Utah and visit with family. I don't know when it will happen though. I guess I'm a little jealous... :)

Ang said...

Ooh, hooray! Pictures! I was so glad to see these because I need to steal some of them (no camera on the 4th!). I can always count on you to have your camera handy, though!

It was so amazingly fun to see you guys. It's way too rare. Thanks for making our 4th of July weekend so memorable.

Joey/Denny/Emma said...

Oh my, the gorgeousness....such cute, cute kids. Was so much fun to see you guys when you were here. Thanks for the wonderful update and photos.

Laurie said...

Caroline is darling! Sure hope that she starts feeling better with less crying spells soon. I'm glad you're getting pretty good sleep!! It is SO nice when they settle quickly after eating in the night.

Utah is SO gorgeous! But so is No Carolina.

Natalie said...

Sounds like you guys are staying busy! We are at the beach right now enjoying the sun. Tell Brandon Happy Belated Birthday from me. When do you guys get back? Caroline is too cute and I am glad she is letting you guys get some rest! Have fun and see you soon!

Sandy said...

Looks like you had a great trip! And Caroline is changing so much already! What a beautiful baby - gorgeous blessing dress, too!

Jayne said...

Thanks for the update. Hope the flight was OK. We miss you!!

carrie said...

sounds, and looks, like a great vacation. i agree that is a fun picture of the kids about to jump in the pool. Ü

i am so excited for my turn to vaca in UT...2 more days!

Destiny said...

A trip to Utah, no fair. Looks like you had fun and what a beautiful blessing dress. I can't believe how big Caroline is getting.

Anonymous said...

Loved each and every picture - it's like living everything twice! Thanks so much for capturing everything in word and with photos!
XO
Mom Sweat

Julia Warren said...

Fabulous pictures! Wish I could have been there!