Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Out of the mouths of babes--June

When I'm holed up in my room nursing a newborn for (what feels like) the majority of the day, I'm sure I miss out on some good sayings from the two older kids. Here are the ones I caught this month.

6/2--We were blessed to receive several floral arrangements and potted plants when Caroline was born. Here is one of them:



It was sitting on the dining room table and at dinner tonight Whit said, "That's fake, right?" And I said, "No, honey. That's real." She asked, "That bird is real???" Oh, well, not THAT part.

6/3--Since my mom is staying with us, she was trying to help reinforce my rules and having the kids do their normal jobs. Whit was upstairs with me and my mom called up, "Whitney, can you wash your hands and put away the silverware?"
Whit yelled back down, "At the same time???"
I guess we need to be a little more specific with our requests.

6/9--I heard something I never thought I'd hear from the kitchen table today. Whitney yelled, "Mom, I spilled lasagna in my pocket!" And you know what? She was telling the truth. Don't know exactly how that happened.

6/12--Now that summer temperatures are here to stay, we've had plenty of popsicles to keep us cool. The topic of "brain freeze" has come up a few times. But today Whit was eating some dinner that must've been a little on the warm side for her because after taking a bite she said, "Ouch! I have brain hot!"

6/16--Whit has reached that stage where she remembers specific words from stories that we read and can go back and "read" them herself. One of her princess books uses the phrase "Dear Diary" several times throughout the book. W is "reading" it in the next room and I just heard her say (in her most dramatic princess voice), "Dear Diarrhea." Ewww.

6/20--Whit told me: I just feel a little nervous every day.
Me: Why?
W: Because it's just so hard.
Me: What's so hard?
W: Going up into the sky and stuff.
Hmmm...

Brandon came up with a riddle today:
Q: Where do you eat ice cream on Sunday?
A: At ice cream sundae school.

6/21--Grandma goes walking most mornings and when she got home today she told us that there were lots of garage sales today.
I said, "Yea. Our neighborhood is popular for garage sales."
Brandon added: "Yea, because almost everybody has a garage."

B can't wait to grow up. He told us, "Adults are so lucky! They get to stay up late every night watching movies and eating candy." Ahhh, the life!

6/22--Even though Caroline can't contribute much to these posts yet, she still manages to crack up B and W. Check out the funny face we caught with the camera:

Silly

Sometimes her clothes do the talking for her.
SOOO true.

6/23--Andrew and I like the movie Nacho Libre. It is one of those shows that is so dumb that it cracks us up. One of our favorite line is when Nacho says, "Get that corn out of my face!" We've found ourselves quoting that a lot lately. The kids have overheard us and even though they've never seen the show, they repeat that line. I caught Brandon baiting Whit at the table today:

So she could tell him, "Get that corn out of my face!"
You probably only find this one funny if you've seen that movie.

6/24--When we walked into the eye doctor's office today, B said, "This place smells like Grandma Sweat's house!" Is that a compliment?

6/26--On two different occasions, Caroline has been baby-babbling and it sounds like she says words. Mainly HI, OH, and AH. B and W were both SOOO impressed. Brandon said, "She's the amazing talking baby! And she's not even a robot!"

Does she look like a robot to you?

6/29--Grandma Cuca often speaks to Caroline in Spanish. Whitney overheard her today and said(in a very surprised tone), "YOU speak Spanish??"
Grandma said, "Si."
Whit's next question: "Is it because you're old?"
Ouch.

Here are the two self-portraits I found of B on the camera this month.



And I'll close with these two cute pics of my boys
catching little cat naps with Miss Caroline Rose.

Like father, like son.
(Only I think Brandon was faking!)

7 comments:

Natalie said...

Oh my gosh! So many good ones this month! Whit is hilarious. And that one picture of Caroline is so funny. Hope you guys are having fun out west!

Megan said...

I was actually laughing out loud this month. Good times! :)

carrie said...

another good month. i love that your grandma can speak spanish because she is old. Ü

Sandy said...

I thought Nacho Libre was funny, too. There are people in the ward here that think our Bishop (haha) should be released because he thought that movie and Napoleon were funny:)

That top self-portrait of Brandon looks like he has a mustache - I'm sure he'd be proud to know.

Great post, as usual!!

Anonymous said...

The two catnapper pics are priceless. Thanks for sharing.
G&G Hiatt

Unknown said...

Too too funny! Thanks for the laugh!

curly girl said...

I love it. I can't believe you "missed" anything this month...these are awesome!