Sunday, February 22, 2009

Snippets from our week

**Edit** Ok, Ok. In response to the comments and in Andrew's defense, he used to be a good handy man. I could give him my "honey-do" list and regardless of the schemes that I'd come up with, he'd try his best to comply. He replaced a porch, two garbage disposals (at different houses), a kitchen faucet, and re-built a fence that got demolished in a wind storm, to name a few. However, I have a hard time putting him to work when he can hardly walk. Maybe if his physical therapy ever starts working, I'll feel better about sticking him with the handyman work.

Unfortunately, in the midst of the doorknob fiasco, he had to help me demolish not one but TWO deadbolts when he really should've been resting his poor aching back. So, until he's healthy, I'll continue to turn projects into crises and hope for the best. **End of edit**

It has been a pretty uneventful week. That's usually a good thing. So I'll share some of the things that happen in a normal week for us.

Tuesday: This is the one day of the week when Whit doesn't have school and we don't have anything else scheduled. We usually end up running errands or going somewhere fun. Today we were feeling lazy and spent the whole morning at home. It was wonderful. Whit got dressed up in her tutu, tiara, and mismatched heels and danced for me and Caroline.

She has got some MOVES.

She used her dancing ribbons, which she named her
ZOOLA-ZALA. Rhythmic gymnastics, here she comes!

Care Bear was thoroughly entertained.

Wednesday:

What IS that on the ceiling?
We better go in for a closer look.

That's what I was afraid of.
A sticky hand.

He wouldn't come down without a fight.
And now there's a little pink stain on our ceiling.
Lovely.

Also, Whit's friend came over after school.
They played princess rock stars.

Thursday: I passed this tree as we were driving around today.

Those are BLOOMS and it's only the middle of February.
Spring must be right around the corner!
It made me happy.

Friday: Little Miss Caroline crawled herself right under the bar stool. This was a first.

She was completely content for a while and then
proceeded to crawl over the bar and out.
I guess it was her baby obstacle course for the day.

Brandon wanted to see how it felt,
so he joined her.

Saturday: The Great Door Knob Fiasco of 2009
I convinced Andrew that we should spend part of our tax refund on a few little home improvement projects. First up--Replace the door knob on our front door.
It had seen better days.

Did you know they have an entire aisle
of door knobs at Home Depot?
So many choices!

I decided on this one.
I thought it looked elegant.
And I am just the epitome of elegance, right?

I asked the employee if replacing this was something I could do myself and he assured me that, yes, it was simple and would take about half an hour. Wrong!!!! I ran into some major issues. And leaving two big holes in your front door because you're sick of a project really isn't an option. I'll spare you all the details, but six hours later, this is what I ended up with:

a slightly darker version of the original.
But at least it locks.
And I didn't have to hire anyone to finish it for me.
I hope the rest of my projects go MUCH smoother.
Anyone know a good handyman in case they don't?

10 comments:

Angelica's Family Adventures said...

How funny that the sticky hand made it up there! Taylor wants to play princess with Whit. I am so jealous that your trees have blooms coming out. I love this time of year out there!

The Normal Mormon Husband said...

I don't know any handymen. Hey, wait! Isn't that my job....

Ang said...

No fair that spring is springing at your house! And the doorknob looks great to me.

And yes . . . isn't that Andrew's job?? :-)

shelley said...

hahahaha! when you find that good handyman, send him our way. we need our porch sanded, repainted, and sealed, and our dishwasher fixed. (it works ok now, but the water doesn't get hot enough...).

and we have lived in our house almost 3 years and have STILL not fixed the front door lock. we are pathetic!

The Oregonians said...

Pray tell, what is a "sticky hand"?
We agree with Angie as to who is the designated handyman. Thanks for the pics.

Anonymous said...

Andrea - Do NOT tell anyone who sent you the sticky hand.
Love,
MIL

The Oregonians said...

Our apologies to Andrew.

Anonymous said...

I am now paying closer attention to where our sticky hand is at all times. So far it's Macy's mouth that it has found its way in to. Ewww..

In my opinion, home improvement projects never ever ever only take a half hour. Listening to Home Depot employees say that is like watching a cooking show where they can make a whole meal in 10 minutes. If I had someone to put all the ingredients into cute little bowls all ready for me - I could do it to. I married a very handy man, buy the only thing we've ever finished in less than 2 hours is probably changing the light bulb.

Natalie said...

6 hours on a doorknob? Yikes!

Amber said...

I am impressed by your tenacity! Way to replace that doorknob!