Monday, June 05, 2006

Another whirlwind weekend



It is going to be impossible to keep up the fun that we've had over the past couple of weekends throughout the summer. It has been awesome, and exhausting. On Saturday I had a Primary Leadership Mtg in the morning for church. Andrew took the kids to Brandon's baseball game. Brandon had his best hit of the season--out of the infield(which doesn't happen often in his!) I was so sad that I missed it!

On Saturday afternoon, the YMCA held a coaches appreciation day. We were invited since Andrew coached B's basketball team this winter. It was amazing. I was so impressed and am already hoping Andrew will coach again next year! The kids got to go horseback riding. There was an archery range. (It was both exciting and kind of frightening to see Brandon shooting a bow and arrow on his own.) They had a little lake with a water slide, trampoline, and diving platform. (We decided our kids were too young for that stuff, but it looked sooo fun.) Instead we took our kids to the pool. They had a "sprayground" which was kind of like sprinklers...on steroids. Brandon loved that part. Whitney got in the actual pool with Andrew. We put water wings on her and she was floating all over the place. She is definitely over her fear of swimming.

Saturday evening we had a Baptism at church. Andrew gave a short talk and I played the piano.

After that, we got to go on our weekly date. Poor Andrew tries so hard to surprise me and I always manage to figure things out! There's a little Italian and Greek restaurant between the church and our house that I've mentioned to Andrew as a place I'd like to try. On our way home from the baptism, I noticed that he glanced at the restaurant a little longer than usual. It was so subtle, but I thought, "I bet that's where we're going for dinner." And, sure enough, it was. It was good, but not great. I don't know if we'll go back again. Andrew got roast leg of lamb. I thought he was very brave for trying it. He said it was kind of bland.

It was a beautiful evening and after dinner we went for a walk around a little lake near our home. It was SO fun. The fireflies were out and it was the first time I'd seen them all season. It was like we had our own little magical light show. Loved it.

Yesterday was my 29th birthday! Yippee! Having a birthday on a Sunday is kind of lame because I still had all my church responsibilities to take care of. I didn't really feel like it was "my big day." But, after church Andrew made me a nice dinner and we had cake with the kids. Andrew got me new running shoes. Brandon got me candy. (what a surprise!) And Whitney got me a new yummy scented candle. Andrew said she picked it out all by herself. I was impressed. I don't feel any older. I'm happy with being 29. I told Andrew that I've stopped caring about age and it's just a number. He said that's a sign that I'm getting old. :)

Tomorrow's a big day for Whitney. We go back to Duke to see about her eye. I hope, hope, hope that her vision is doing well and we can stop the patching. Even though she does so well with it, I still feel bad for her. She gets so many stares and questions when we're out in public. I shouldn't care. She doesn't care. I should follow her example. I guess that's another reason why Christ tells us to become as little children.

6 comments:

Jayne said...

Good Luck tomorrow - let me know how it goes.

I'm glad you had a nice birthday. Am I your oldest friend? Never mind, don't answer that :)

Laurie said...

Happy Belated Birthday!! This is a good, but busy time of year for a birthday. I'm trying to scheme some plans for John's 30th later this month. I'll be 29 this August, so I'm right there with ya. You did have such a fun weekend! I like hearing about what you and Andrew do together, and what a great relationship you have. It is inspiring to me to be better friends with John. I hope Whitney's eye is healing!

Anonymous said...

Andi, I just came by to check on your blog again . . . it's so fun to read! (As if I don't have enough reasons to sit in front of my computer, now you've given me another)! It was fun to talk to you on your birthday -- hope you and Drew are doing great. And how was the appointment at Duke? I'm sure you'll keep us posted.

Anonymous said...

Oh, and I forgot, I was going to post a link to this funny "the evolution of dance" video that a friend emailed me. It's good for a laugh.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMH0bHeiRNg&eurl

Now that's all!
Ang

andrea said...

That's so funny that you mention that evolution of dance link! A friend of mine sent me the same link this weekend. Andrew and I both got a kick out of it. It kind of reminded me of Napoleon with some of those moves!

andrea said...

I don't know if I'm allowed to comment on my own blog if it's not in response to another comment, but I'm doing it anyway.

I developed some pictures a few weeks ago and my smile was so big and cheezy, it looked totally fake. So, now I've been making a conscious effort to not over-smile. But I don't think it worked on these bday photos. I look bored or indifferent instead of my usual happy self. This is going to take some practice. I forgot how to smile a normal smile!