Saturday, December 15, 2007

Random assortment of thoughts and updates

***WARNING***This is a marathon post. I had a lot to say.

*Christmas tree*For all of you who had been concerned that we'd lost all Christmas spirit, we FINALLY got our Charlie-Brown style tree up.
It was Brandon's turn to put the star on top.
Voila!

*Tea cakes*My girlfriends have been so festive this year. I got to participate in not one, but two baking-related girls nights out. (HUGE props to Andrew for taking two nights of kid-duty!) First I got together with some church friends.

We met at Kelly's house

There were a whole bunch of us wannabe cake-decorators.

We joined in on one of Kelly's holiday traditions--
tea cakes. (Kind of ironic since none of us drink tea.)
Have you ever heard of them? I hadn't either.
They are individual little two-layer cakes
that you decorate to be super cute.
Here's how mine turned out:
Aren't they fun? They got rave reviews from
all four of us in my family.

*Cookie exchange*Another night I got together with my preschool/playgroup friends and we had a cookie exchange. I felt so domestic. Ok, I took the easy way out and made Pretzel Hugs, but I got to take home lots of YUMMY cookies. And we've already eaten almost all of them.

Cookie exchangers.
Oops--Shani and I lost our mouths.

Sidenote: I volunteer in B's classroom once a week
and on two different occasions, two different children
asked me if I was "Sebastian's Mom," who happens
to be one of my good friends, Bea.
Do you see the resemblance? I think we could
be sisters! My Latin blood does shine through!

*Leaves, glorious leaves! *LOVE the spring in NC when the trees start blooming. LOVE the summer in NC when the there is green EVERYWHERE. LOVE the fall when the trees burst into bright shades of red, orange, and yellow. HATE having to clean all those leaves up when they fall all over my yard. Boo on that!

We broke down and got a leaf blower to help.
It still took both Andrew and I working for over
two hours straight to get the yard looking decent.

Fun side effect: HUGE leaf piles for the kids to
jump in and bury each other.
Where's Whitney?

Here's a glimpse of
before

and after. I forgot we had that
little path under there!

*Christmas in July?*Our weather around here has been GORGEOUS this week. I felt like we moved back to AZ! It has been 75 or higher all week. Hasn't felt much like Christmas, though.

We had picnics in the park,

played in the sandbox,

and had a mean game of soccer between
B and me. (He won.)

*Goodbye, farewell, auf wiedersehen, good night to Whit's purple cast* Yay--we survived the five weeks with a one-armed wonder and yesterday was her big day to go back to see Dr. Norris and get it off.

This was her pose in the waiting room
when I said, "Let me get one last pic of
you with your cast on."

They gave her these headphones so the saw
doesn't sound as loud. Great idea. She loved 'em.

She's such a brave girl. Didn't bat an eye at that
scary-looking saw being used next to her flesh.

See those little green things? Those
are the tips of the pins in her arm.
They took a follow-up x-ray to make
sure everything had healed properly.

It had, so next step: pin removal.
That's the new crush on the left--Dr. Norris.
I don't think he's supplanted Dr. Buckley on the crush-scale.
They had me hold Whit like this in preparation for
restraining her if she freaked out, but she was
SO brave and just sat there as they pulled
THESE HUGE THINGS OUT!
Can you believe how long they were?
Her arm was not as stinky or hairy as I imagined
it would be. Instead it was covered in dried skin
that will slowly shed over the next few days.
Ewwww.

She is still adjusting to having a healed arm.
She walked around all day yesterday holding her
arm as if it were still in the cast. This morning
she has gotten a little better at using it.
I'm sure it's stiff.

*Reality TV* So I just found out that both Angie and Amy (My SIL) have been watching THE BIGGEST LOSER this season. Anyone else? Who do you think is going to win? I think Bill is going to beat the ladies, but I want Julie, the cute little blondie to win. I like her personality. I'd be happy if Isabeau won, too. But I'm not a big Hollie fan, even though she's from Tucson.

What about Survivor: China? Anyone watching? It's the big finale tomorrow. Exciting stuff. I'm rooting for the lunch lady, but unless she wins the next immunity challenge, I'm afraid she's gone.

*Sixteen weeks along*I've made it to the four month mark in my pregnancy and am feeling great. Yahoo! And even though I've felt like I've been showing FOREVER, the general public is finally admitting that I'm showing.
I think it's a cute little belly.
LOVE this part of pregnancy.
I haven't really started feeling the baby move, though. That'll be the next fun milestone. We'll find out whether we're having a boy or girl on Dec 27th, so start thinking about your guesses. I'll take a poll before the ultrasound and we'll see who the most accurate predictors are.

Phew...I think that's it.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tea cakes, pregnancy, purple casts, fall leaves, Christmas trees and spring weather - it's a virtual feast of information! Thanks so much - I love the tea cakes - what a great idea, and your friends are so cool!!
XO
Mom Sweat

Anonymous said...

I have so much to say about your marathon post, that I fear this will be a marathon comment. Oh well, here it goes:
1. I love your Charlie-Brown tree!
2. I'm very jealous of your weather. I love playing in snow, but Jack's not quite old enough to enjoy it yet, so I miss playing outside.
3. I cannot believe those pins in Whit's arm. She's so brave. Dave is majorly grossed out by those pictures.
4. I agree with your Biggest Loser prediction. I think Bill will win. I wish Julie could win, but she's so little and hasn't lost a lot of weight. She's the best personality though and I get biased for moms.
5. I am totally watching Survivor right now too! I haven't watched it in years (since I was single & in college), but decided to give it another chance when we got our DVR. I'm also rooting for the lunch lady. If not her then probably Todd. Courtney & Amanda both bother me.
6. Enjoy the best part of pregnancy, you look great!

Sandy said...

Wow - you guys have been busy! Your little teacakes are cute; your kids are cute and so is your belly! My prediction is a boy - you look like you're carrying low, and of course, according to everybody that means its a boy. Haha - we'll see:)

jax from the harmon squad said...

I think it's a boy, but of course I'm prejudiced.

Laurie said...

i'm guessing boy too. so fun to find out.

those pins are crazy. i would have never guessed...brave girl!

i'm supposed to take 3 dozen cookies to my exchange next wk, which sounds like so much work right now - thanks for the pretzel treat reminder :-) those will be easy enough!!

Jayne said...

I want to know more about the teacakes. They ARE cute. Are they individually baked cakes or do you bake a sheet cake and cut it up? What is holding those sprinkles on? Frosting? I need to know!!

And just to let all of you on the west coast know, it has now turned COLD here. BRRR. But we sure enjoyed that lovely weather while we had it!

andrea said...

Jayne--It is a sheet cake baked in a jelly roll pan and then cut into little rectangles. Yes, we frosted the sides first and just dipped each side in the sprinkles. The ones with cherries on top were white cakes and then the others were chocolate. Talk about a rich dessert!

Ang said...

I love that picture of you and your Secret Service Double (otherwise known as Sebastian's mom). And look at all those leaves! Wow. I'm so glad you got a leaf blower. And big props to Whit!!! What a brave one. And finally, my guess is going to be GIRL, if only because both my other SILs (Cindy and Forrest's sister Mindy) are having girls, so it will keep thinks consistent!! But if it is a boy, I have some cute boy clothes to send your way!!

Natalie said...

I totally didn't even notice Whit in that leaves pictures until I read the caption 'Where's Whitney?'. I guess my eye sight is going! And I can't believe those huge things they took out of her arm! Yikes! What a brave girl.

Marianne said...

Your cakes are too cute and I'm sure your pretzel hugs were a hit!! The weather has been warm here as well!

Angelica's Family Adventures said...

Yummy! Send some cakes my way, I love sugar!
You look so cute pregnant! Your hair is getting long. Only by looking at your picture, you look to be carrying higher, I'd say your having a girl.

Joey/Denny/Emma said...

Whitney's so brave (and so cute!) I had no idea NC could be so warm this time of year. Sounds kinda nice... You look beautiful, Andrea. And I think you're having a girl.

Laurie said...

Today when I got your card I realized that I sent a card to your old address. I'm assuming you aren't still getting mail forwarded??

Anonymous said...

What a brave little girl Whit is. I am so proud of her and hope that the whole ordeal is behind her. Broken bones are so scary to me. Anyway love your post and you are really showing in that picture, I love it. Take care. Shelly