Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Six habits of a less-than highly efffective me

My SIL, Angie, tagged me to post six truths or habits. I've already revealed so much about myself in previous posts that I'm really going to have to rack my brain to come up with SIX things I haven't already told you. Here goes.

1. I am in a housekeeping/cooking slump. It has been going on ever since Grandma Cuca went home. She totally spoiled me with her yummy cooking. And despite my best efforts to convince her to just RELAX while she was here, she would scrub things until they shined every time I turned my back. It was almost like having some magical house cleaning fairy around for a couple of weeks. Well, the fairy has left, but I'm still waiting for the dishes to wash themselves, the vacuum to do its thing, and the toilet to scrub themselves. Still waiting.....

Why have you abandoned me, fairy?

2. I floss my teeth every night. Ok, maybe 95% of the time, but that's still pretty good. This probably comes as no surprise to anyone. I better practice what I preach to my patients, right? Not that I actually have patients right now, but in theory.... I've also started flossing my kids' teeth at night, most nights. We've gone through phases earlier in life where we would floss, but then we'd get out of the habit, now we're back in and I hope it lasts. Love that clean-between-the-teeth feeling.

Remember--You only have to floss
the teeth that you want to keep.

3. I am a picky eater. I've come to terms with it. I used to rationalize that it was good because most of the foods I refuse to eat are not the best choices anyway--fried chicken, bacon, sausage, ham.... But now I realize that with the amount of chocolate and ice cream that I consume, I can't claim that I'm just a healthy eater. I guess I'm just kind of a quirky and that's OK. After all I do the grocery shopping and 97% of the cooking, so I can cater to my own tastes and whims. Now the irony in this is that I refuse to accommodate my kids if they don't like what I made for dinner. How hypocritical is that? "This is what we're having, so eat up!"

4. Many of my friends who were stay-at-home moms when I met them are going back to work
now that our kids are getting older. I have absolutely no desire to follow in their footsteps. And don't get me wrong, I LOVED being a dental hygienist and I think I was pretty darn good at it, too. But I have no aspirations of becoming a working mom who can "have it all." Instead, I have visions of free time: scrapbooking, going to the temple, blogging, doing family history work, volunteering in my kids' classrooms....Yes, my world will be rocked if I ever need to go back to work out of necessity.

5. I am a bad phone-call-ender. I like talking on the phone. Unless I have something pressing to do, I enjoy conversing with another adult. So I often drag out calls longer than the person on the other end intended. Then I'm not sure how to wrap it up. I feel like it's awkward when it's time to say good-bye. Any advice?

6. I've previously mentioned that I love having a garage and being able to park in there. But I haven't shared this habit: When coming home, I try to see how far away I can push the garage-door-opener button and still have it work. It has an amazing range! So far, I've gotten it to work when I pass the mailbox of the home four houses up the street from us. But when I tried it at their backyard fence it didn't work. I'll have to find a spot somewhere in between to see if I can increase my current record.

Ok, there ya go. More than you ever wanted to know about me, I'm sure. So, now it's your turn to share. I'll tag Erika, Marci, Sandy, and Daneen to give us a scoop into their habits and truths.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your garage door opener habit made me laugh harder than I have in awhile. I was picturing you in all of these weird places; in the bushes down the street, your neighbors kitchen, etc...trying to see if you can get the garage door to open. So funny!!

The "D" Family said...

When we were little kids we used to randomly push the garage door opener while driving around the neighborhood, and we opened quite a few of our neighbor's doors. Technology has come a long way and that doesn't work anymore. (I know because I tried it when we got our house!)

Erika said...

As soon as I get home I'm going to post my truths and habits.

Thank you for giving me a reason to have more than one post in a month:)

Natalie said...

Did I tell you that Whit had David floss her teeth the other night? It was too funny. Afterwards David had a new appreciation for dentists and hygentists.

And your garage door tid bit made me chuckle. You crack me up. Oh and the peace out comment on my blog was hilarious!

Sandy said...

Sometimes its scary how much of myself I see in your confession posts! Not everything this time (I need to floss more - I admit it. The kids steal the floss container a lot and I don't always go looking for it), but most! I'll have to think about what to post since you tagged me...I'll do it tomorrow. I'm too tired to think clearly and might post something I'll regret, haha!

Ang said...

Phone call ending can be tricky sometimes, I agree. Especially if there isn't anything, well, pressing that ends the phone call (e.g. "gotta go, the 3 year old is covered in lotion" or something like that). But I've never noticed any obvious phone call ending faux pas when I've been on the phone with you! And I wish I had a house cleaning fairy! And I've always wondered what you cook when you can't use chicken or ham or beef . . . is ground beef okay? Sometimes I think ground beef is the grossest of all to handle, but how can you avoid it?

Thanks for all your fun responses!

andrea said...

Ang--ground beef is SO not ok. Can't handle it. I think I've bought it once in the last 3 years because I was asked to bring sloppy joes to a ward activity. Can't very well make sloppy joes without the meat. Unless I wanted to get crazy and try ground tofu or something...I didn't.

Anonymous said...

I don't think there's anything wrong with being a picky eater. (-: The only perk I've found to cooking is that I can cater the foods to what I like.
Also, I've never thought that you are a bad phone-call-ender.

Jayne said...

Hmm. I think I'm one of your friends in #4 that has started working again?

In my case, I am really happy with my new business (freelance writing) because I still get to do most of my at-home mom stuff and set my schedule. But it has certainly put a crimp in my social life, I admit.

Anonymous said...

Hi there DIL~ - I have watched your recipe collection grow over the last decade and I think you are a marvelous cook - every time we visit you, I go home and try to cook what you made for us, but it never tastes as good as when you made it!
Love,
your MIL