Thursday, January 17, 2008

Carolina Blizzard

Wow, it was a rough day out here. Did you hear about all the snow we got? Enough to cancel school! I took a few pictures. They're pretty graphic, so brace yourselves:


Can you see the little white pile at the base
of the trees? Look closely.

The top of the hot tub was BURIED.
And look at the limbs of those evergreens.
It was near white out conditions!

Ok, seriously, this IS what it looks like when they
cancel school in Carolina. I got to have a snow day
with the kids today and there wasn't even any
snow to play in! What's up with that?

Whitney REALLY missed going to Utah to get her
fix of snow this winter. So as soon as she finished
breakfast, she ran upstairs, got dressed, and was
ready to go outside and "play in the snow."
Only it was still raining. And there wasn't any
appreciable snow to do anything with.
She threw a complete tantrum. And we're
not really a tantrum family.
I felt so bad for her.

The cool thing about winter storms out here?
Ice.
(At least it looks cool, but can be a pain in the neck, too.)
I love how the trees get covered in a thin layer.
Totally how I envision a winter wonderland.

I had to put something out in the mailbox and it made
me smile when I put the flag up and the icicles stuck
straight out.

I wasn't sure if our "huge storm" made national news or not, but wanted all of our out-of-state loved ones to know that we survived the Great Blizzard of '08.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Come to Zion, come to Zion..."
"Best snow on earth."

Great pic of mailbox flag with the horizontal icicles.

G & G Hiatt

Natalie said...

At least they got the day off. I had to go into work and was not so happy about it. In fact, I almost threw a tantrum myself!

Paul-N-Daneen said...

Its so lame that they cancel school for a snowflake.

Jayne said...

The problem here IS the ice. Right before we moved here (so it must've been winter '04 - '05?) I was living in Pennsylvania (where they almost never cancel for snow)and I read in the newspaper about an icy day in the Raleigh area that crippled the roads. Parents couldn't get to the schools to pick up their kids because of gridlock and a bunch of kids had to spend the night at school. Can you imagine?!

Destiny said...

This post made me laugh. I enjoyed reading about your "huge storm".

Anonymous said...

That's hilarious!

jax from the harmon squad said...

I grew up in Virginia, and it really was pathetic the snow conditions that we would get out of school for- but it is different here in NC. Unlike places that do get a lot of snow, the stuff we get here is wet, not powdery, and then it usually melts as soon as it hits the ground. No big deal, right? Then overnight, when the temperature drops again all the melted snow (and whatever freezing rain or just plain rain we got with it) freezes into ice, which is SO much more dangerous than snow. SO they should call them ice days here rather than snow days. I mean, it doesn't even really snow, does it? And I was upset that I'm in college- we never get a whole day off like those lucky grade-school kids. What's up with that?

Anonymous said...

I am so glad you weathered the storm!
Grandma Sweat

Sandy said...

Wow - we got a foot of snow since yesterday and the kids were playing outside AT school - heehee:) Enjoy that blizzard, babe!

Laurie said...

YOu had me confused for a second. I was like wait a minute, that doesn't look like much snow at all. Pretty funny.