Wednesday, January 02, 2008

The Best of OOMB 2007

Since every reputable publication comes out with some sort of "Best of" list at the end of the year, I wanted to get on the action. So, I read through all twelve of the Out of the Mouths of Babes(OOMB) posts from last year and picked my favorites.

Your job, should you choose to accept, is to read through these goodies and vote for your three favorites. We'll pick a winner--the best wisdom or humor my munchkins have to offer--based on your votes. Enjoy!

Jan 8th--While reading the scriptures together tonight, we came across the word "bondage." Andrew asked Brandon, "Do you know what bondage is?" Brandon thought for a minute and replied, "Is it like being married?"


Feb 15th--I just finished reading a book to Whitney and this is how it ended:
Whatever the weather,
come snow, rain or sun,
Bear always knows
how to have lots of fun!
Brandon was in the next room and called out, "Even in a tornado???"

Feb 20th--While eating lunch, I mentioned to Whitney that her daddy takes a ham sandwich to work for lunch every day.
She said, "When I grow up, I'm going to take an apple to work every day."
Me: "What are you going to be when you grow up?"
W: "I'll be bigger."
Me: "Yes, but are you going to be a business woman, or a teacher, or a scientist, or a doctor, or a mailman?" (those were the first examples that came to mind.)
W: "I'm going to be a doctor AND a mailman."
after a few moments to think about it
W: "I'm going to be a stepmother when I grow up."

March 9th--I overheard a conversation between Andrew and Brandon in the backyard this evening. Andrew was throwing away a piece of candy and Brandon didn't understand why.
A: Because I dropped it on the ground, so now it's trash
B: No it's not. I eat stuff off the floor of my bus all the time!

March 23rd--Drew: "Whit, you need to stop playing at the sink and just finish washing your hands."
Whitney turned around from the sink with a dirty look on her face and honestly said, "Do you wanna piece of me?"

Don't mess with this!

May 14th--We were sitting around the dinner table and asking Brandon about his day at school. One of the best parts is hearing what he did out on the playground. Tonight he told us that he and his friends played "Superbabies."
Drew: "How do you play that?"
B: "We just pretend we're babies with super powers."
Drew: "What super powers did you have?"
B: "Just plain Milk Force and Electric Force."
Drew: "What do you do with your powers?"
B: "Hurt bad guys and stuff. Shock them with the Electric Milk Force."

May 27th--Whitney was looking super-fly in a new church outfit today. I overheard her get several compliments. After church I asked, "Did lots of people tell you that you looked pretty today?" She quickly replied, "Yea." Then got a sad look on her face and said, "But nobody said I looked beautiful."

June 20th--This was the first night in our new house and we had the most humorous family scripture study. In Whitney's scripture stories, we're reading the Old Testament right now. We're on the part where Moses is leading the children of Israel through the wilderness. They have the tabernacle which has either fire or a cloud above it, depending on whether it is night or day. The illustration in her book looks like this:

Whit's question:
"Did they roast marshmallows there?"

June 30th--I don't know where this came from, but we were out running errands as a family today and Brandon said, "I know what I'm gonna do when I grow up. I'm gonna sell lemonade and other stuff on the side of the road so I can get more money and be rich." (Yikes--he's a little too interested in money right now, if you ask me.) Andrew asked, "What 'other stuff' will you sell?" Brandon said, "Toys....video games...pillows for beds." Sounds like we have a future entrepreneur on our hands. I mean, who doesn't need pillows for beds from a roadside stand?

July 21st--To help pass the time on the road trip, I had downloaded a Q&A game from cranium.com. Here are a couple of examples of the responses my kids gave.
Q: If you had a car that could go anywhere on earth, where would you drive to?
B: I would drive all around the world in sixty seconds and stop at Hershey Park and the Ultimate Lego Store.
W: To Wal-Mart.

Q: If you could eat only one thing the whole trip, what would it be?
W: A peanut butter sandwich.
B: Cotton candy.

Q: If you could pick anyone to be your personal chauffeur, who would it be?
W: Hello Kitty
B: Jeff Gordon



Aug 22nd--We have a CD of VeggieTales songs and one of them talks about how the promised land is "flowing with milk and honey." B-train must've had that song in his head because in the car today, he randomly said, "Wouldn't that be cool if the promised land was flowing with milk and COOKIES?" During that same drive Whitney made this observation about the differences between boys and girls: "Mom, we like flowers and boys like football practice." Being a female athlete, I informed her that some girls like football practice, too. She wasn't convinced.

Sept 7th--I started teaching Whit about opposites yesterday. She caught on really quickly and enjoys being "quizzed" on them. So, today at the lunch table, I started off by asking her some opposites: hot and cold, open and closed, fast and slow, etc. Then it was her turn to put me in the hot seat.

W: What's the opposite of picnic?
Me: Having dinner at the table?
W: No. It's something slippery and slidey.
Me: A water slide?
W: Yes. What's the opposite of mad?
Me: Happy.
W: No. Surprised.

Sept 25th--More creative money-making schemes from B. When he found out his Grandma and Grandpa were going to be at the airport tomorrow, he said, "Grandma, when you see one of those empty carts, turn it in and collect all the quarters and bring them back and we'll split them."

Money, money, money, money

Sept 26th--This morning Andrew and Whit were having a debate about the title of the movie she wanted to watch. She INSISTED it was called "Alison and Wonderland." He tried to correct her and tell her is was "Alice in Wonderland." He tried to end the debate by saying, "It's Alice in Wonderland, Whit. I'm positive." She responded, "No you're not. You're handsome."

Oct 25th--It has been raining ALL DAY here today. It is a huge blessing for our drought-stricken state. Whitney and Brandon were sitting at the table doing a puzzle and Whit started singing, "Rain, rain, go away. Come again another day."
B: Stop singing that song.
W: Why?
B: Don't you want to live?
W: What?
B: We need the rain for the crops to grow, so if you tell it to go away, we can't live.
W: What are crops?
B: That's a fancy word for....corn and stuff.
W: Corn is delicious!

(Major props to Jackie for the cute photos of the kids. Thanks!)

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

March 23rd has my vote

Tom said...

The last one, Oct 25th. That one has it for sheer randomness. Sounds like dialog from a Wes Anderson movie, or maybe an episode of Arrested Development.

jax from the harmon squad said...

March 23rd is by far my favorite, followed by May 27th and September 26th. And I will GLADLY take pictures of your kids anytime- they were so much fun and alive!

Anonymous said...

Oct. 25th
June 20th
May 14th
March 23rd
(I can vote for 4, I'm the grandma).
P.S.
I LOVE the photos - Brandon has matured so much I can't believe my eyes!
Love,
Grandma Sweat

Stew and Traci said...

hey Andrea, i have come to your blog a couple of times and caught up on how you are doing. I laughed at all of these, but my fav is March 9th. you all sound like you are doing great! I would love to keep in touch! -traci smith (hancock) www.stewandtracifamily.blogspot.com

The Normal Mormon Husband said...

Honey,

I'm going with the Oct. 25th about the drought, crops, and the deliciousness of corn. The whole "corn is delicious" is so random it just cracked me up.

Drew

Joey/Denny/Emma said...

I like 1) is bondage like marriage, 2) do they roast marshmallows there, and 3) no you're not, you're handsome.

Anonymous said...

I think my favorites are Jan. 8, Mar. 9 & Mar. 23. Gigi

Anonymous said...

I'll have to go with "Do you want a piece of me?" (3/23) as my first choice. Followed by road trip Q & A (7/21) and the "I eat stuff off the floor of my bus all the time!" (3/9).

Dad

PS I love those pictures

Natalie said...

Ok I have a favorite for each child for B it is the Bondage quote and for Whit it is the Do you want a piece of me quote. But my other favorite was not included. I think I remember Whit thanking Heavenly Father in her prayers for Andrew being Handsome. I just loved that one too!

Sandy said...

Great pictures!

My faves from the list are: Jan. 8, March 9 and Oct. 25th.

Anonymous said...

I have to go with Feb. 20th - the stepmother quote. That one cracked me up! It was a close call with March 23rd though.

Ang said...

Favorite Whit quote: "No you're not. You're handsome." (I can just hear Whit and Drew having that conversation--hilarious.)

Favorite B quote: It's got to be a tie between the "marriage is bondage" and the "Even in a tornado?" I just might have to give it to the tornado one because it's so smart . . . I can just feel his little mind working in the next room.

Favorite Whit and B exchange: Gotta be the Rain/Crops/Delicious Corn conversation.

So funny!

Anonymous said...

Um I have got to go with Whit the tough girl. Seriously! Can you even picture her saying "Do you wanna piece of me?" without laughing?

Amanda L said...

Andrea!!! Your kids are so CUTE! How are you? Just thought I would say hello and congrats on your new little one! :)