Thursday, January 31, 2008

Out of the mouths of babes--January

I was kind of disappointed in the LOST premiere. Anyone with me on this? 1. They advertised it as a "two hour" event, but the first was just another recap. Come on already. I stressed over getting home from B's practice on time for no good reason! 2. There were WAYYY too many commercials. I felt like there was a break in the action every five minutes. What's up with that??? 3. They hardly covered any ground in the story. We didn't even see the supposed "rescuers" until 15 seconds before the show ended.

I'm a little let down.

Hope you don't get the same feeling from this month's OOMB post. :)

1/1--Sometimes it isn't so much what your kids SAY as what they do. And this picture says more about Brandon's adventurous, crazy personality than any commentary I could make:
Presenting: Tape and glue stick boy!
The newest and stickiest super hero.

1/4--Brandon is such a tricky salesman! Tonight we were all driving together in the car and B asked Andrew, "Dad, do you work with anyone who is really nice and likes to help people?
Andrew replied, "Yes, I work with a lot of people like that."
B went on to say, "Good. I need their addresses because I want to send them a letter for my school fundraiser." Holy cow! Sneaky boy, I tell ya.

1/5--Whit is really into playing doctor. Go figure. She sees enough of them in real life that I thought she'd fulfilled that inner desire. Guess not. Anyway, Andrew was giving her a "check up", listening to her heart, giving her shots, etc. Then she said, "OK. It's my turn to be the doctor and you're the patient, Daddy." They switched roles and the first thing out of Whit's mouth when she was in the role of doctor: "First you have to pay me. Do you have any money?" Cracked me up! She knows that we're definitely paying for all those visits she has to see her boyfriends.

1/9--At the dinner table tonight...
B: Today when we were on our way back from the playground, we saw some people in the gym and they were Pokemon Masters that you could play against.
Me: [in disbelief] Really?
B: Well, that's what Jonah [a classmate] said....or else maybe they were Cub Scouts.

1/10--On the way to Whitney's preschool this morning....
W: I hope I'm the coolest girl there!
Me: [After trying to convince her that maybe she should try to be the nicest girl instead] What IS the coolest girl? What makes you a cool girl?
W: Well, it's kind of like a cougar, except it's a cool girl.

1/12--When she finished brushing her teeth tonight, this is the face Whit made:

In Chile, they call this "la boca chueca" (crooked mouth)

I had Andrew tell the kids all about how Chileans answer the door with their mouths covered so the hot air in their mouths won't collide with the cold air outside. If they don't take this precautionary measure, they believe their mouth will go crooked. "Don't laugh," they say, "It happened to my Uncle Chuey!" The kids got a kick out of this story and now every night when Whit goes to bed, instead of getting my usual cute little kiss, I get a "boca chueca" kiss.

1/15--One of the toys that I keep out of reach is our Mr. Potato Head. Love to build with it, hate to clean up a hundred little pieces. So, it's somewhat of a privilege when we get it down. Today was Whit's lucky day because she asked to play with it and I agreed. And, as an added bonus, she even cleaned it up when I asked her to. Woo hoo. Ours came in a bucket and as she was carrying it up the stairs to put it away, she said, "Time to milk the cows!" Where did THAT come from?

It's 4:30. Time for milking

1/16--Brandon was playing with one of the floor vents for the heater and I asked him to leave it alone because I don't want him to forget that it's closed and leave this room freezing cold. His reply?
"Mom, it's winter. I would NOT forget about getting warm. The only things I think about during winter are Jesus, keeping warm, and getting presents from Santa."
At least Jesus came first...

And Whit wants you to leave the vents
open so the warm air can blow through her
long, flowing hair.

1/17--So I mentioned a few months ago how Brandon is in the "Boys Club," right? Well, now he is not only a card-carrying member, but he has informed us that he is the KING of clubs. (Because now there are specific clubs instead of just one for all boys--Pokemon club, football club, star wars club, etc.) So, he is basically the leader of ALL these little clubs. This honor was bestowed upon him when the former king of clubs moved to Germany. His duties, from what we have gathered so far, are to trade boys from his football team for better players so that they always win and to be the fastest runner in the class. BUT he informed us that he is only the fastest in short races and there is another boy who can beat him in long races. His secret to winning?
"When the fast kids are running, they always have one leg in the air at a time, so if you just give them a little tap, they fall down."
Us: "So, you push them down?"
Him: "No, I just barely tap them...and they fall."
Us: "That's called cheating."
Him: "Not if you just tap them lightly."

Brandon's self-portrait

1/20--OK, this wasn't something my kids said, but it still deserves an entry here. At church today, a woman made a comment to me about how I'm finally starting to look pregnant. (even though I've been claiming to look pregnant for the last, oh, 16 weeks.) She's right, though. Check out the 23 wk pregnant belly:
I said, "Yep. The belly's starting to get big, isn't it?"
Her reply? "Yea. And your backside, too."
What??? Even if it's true, you're not supposed to say it!

1/21--Tonight we had our annual goal-setting FHE and I just had to share a few of goals the kids set for themselves. We set goals in six areas, including:
Home and Family
B: Invent some things
Interests and Hobbies
W: Learn to dance better, especially ballet
B: Read as much as I can
Physical
W: Eat good foods like bananas and apples and crackers and granola bars and ice cream
Friends
B: Play more football with my friends
School
B: Learn more times tables

Talented kids with aspirations

1/24--While trying to keep Whit entertained during B's b-ball practice, we decided to play "Animal" where one of us thinks of an animal and the other has to guess it. We went through some of our favorites: elephant, giraffe, monkey, etc. Then Whitney had a turn and I couldn't figure out what she was thinking of. She said it was really small and wiggly. Her tricky animal? Germs! Darn, this former microbiology major should've gotten that one!

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

If ever I'm asked to make a top 10 list of favorite things, "Out of the Mouth of Babes" will be right up there. I loved January's post - I spend all of January tapping my foot in boredom (and thinking about Jesus and about keeping warm)so thanks for livening it up with each and every entry!
Love you,
Grandma Sweat

Megan said...

Totally had to loudly giggle at B's Jesus in the winter... Thanks for starting me off with a laugh today! And, you know that Whit had to milk the cows because she had the pail (which just happened to have Mr. Potato in it). Love it!

Natalie said...

Ok, first. Totally agree with you about LOST. I was so disappointed! An hour of recaps! Come on! And then nothing was answered! Nothing!

Onto the rest of your post. The cougar comment made me laugh out loud! Hilarious. I also like the Witness reference, and B's tricky way of cheating in races. Just tap them lightly. Ha ha ha.

And whoever said that about your backside was so rude! Who said that?

Anonymous said...

A germ! Smart little girl. I can't believe someone said that at church. Too funny! That was a great OOMB, I was not disappointed.

andrea said...

The church member who made the comment about my backside shall remain nameless. She's a very innocent person, though, and I'm sure she meant no offense. I'm not holding a grudge or anything. :)

(But I have thought twice when digging in the pantry for junk food, so maybe it was a good thing.)

Ang said...

Hey, I'm sure your backside is in GREAT shape. I think people should get a little Boca Chueca when they open their mouth and what they're saying collides with good manners :-). (Wouldn't that be funny?).

My favorite is the "what I think about in winter" comment. And Brandon's method for race winning. And Whitney is a super genius.

shelley said...

By the looks of the last picture, Whitney is going to turn out to be a "good girl" - you know what I mean.

There are so many things that are wonderful about pregnancy, the list is too long to mention here. However, top of the lists of things that are HORRIBLE about pregnancy:
1) How your weight, appearance, size of your belly, etc, are all completely appropriate to comment on.
followed shortly by
2) Advice/comments on your health, the health of the baby, what you're doing/not doing during your pregnancy
and finally
3) Horrible labor and delivery stories, especially when it's your first and you have NO IDEA what you're in for.

I think you look great. Did I break rule #1 when I commented on your "chubby face" while looking at those pictures of you when you were pregnant with Brandon? I'll keep an eye out for my own Boca Chueca to appear!

I'll miss you on Monday for our piano lesson. Tell those silly monkeys I'll get to them next week.

Sandy said...

OH my gosh, I've been laughing out loud through the WHOLE list this time!!! TOO FUNNY! I can't believe someone told you your backside was getting big -- YIKES. HOpefully she was making a comment from her own experience or something???!!!!

curly girl said...

Cute, cute, cute! Love it!

Am I the only person in America who has never seen a single episode of Lost? Just wondering. ;)

Sandy said...

So I just pulled up your blog to show Jake your out of the mouthes entry and saw that picture of Brandon with the glue taped to his head...and it brought back a few memories of his father taping his face all up...I may even have a picture of it from Halloween or something. I THINK it was Andrew that used to do that, anyway...tape up his face so he looked like an inbred troll? Am I right?

andrea said...

You have a great memory, Sandy! Andrew and I actually actually sewed our shirts together and claimed we were the first human-clone-gone-wrong for our first Halloween together. We both had tape faces, but Brandon has taken it to a whole new level. :)

Sandy said...

I remember that Halloween costume, actually! I had TOTALLY forgotten about that - I think Andrew used to do that at work a lot when we all got bored (which was very, very often) - but that picture of Brandon triggered the memory, I guess. So is that a skill passed from father to son, or some sort of tricky genetic abnormality?:)

Laurie said...

I agree about the Lost finale. We don't get much forward movement in a lot of the episodes. Although I did find it interesting to see snippets of life after returning home. It's my weekly dose of psycho. Glad to have some show to watch.

You know you're well qualified to be a bishop's wife when you can roll with the punches and comments that come and let them roll off with a remembrance that the person is an innocent personality. I highly doubt that your backside is actually growing. You have a great body.