Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Words of Wisdom

As most of you already know, the prophet and president of our church, Gordon B. Hinckley passed away earlier this week. I know I'm kind of slow to do a post about it, but didn't want to let the opportunity pass.

I LOVE President Hinckley,

but truly am excited for him that he will be reunited with his sweet wife and free from the challenges of old age. He just seemed lonely since she passed away. I will miss seeing his smiling face and hearing his quick wit and inspired counsel at General Conference. I have had the following quote saved as a draft for the past few weeks. I read it in the Ensign magazine and loved it. It was printed in the program for Sister Hinckley's funeral.

He said, “It isn’t as bad as you sometimes think it is. It all works out. Don’t worry. I say that to myself every morning. It will all work out. Put your trust in God, and move forward with faith and confidence in the future. The Lord will not forsake us. If we will put our trust in Him, if we will pray to Him, if we will live worthy of His blessings, He will hear our prayers."

I'm not even a worry wart, generally. But there are days when I start to stress out about having Caroline.... and Andrew being gone a lot.... and can I really handle this? This was a great reminder. With the Lord's help, YES, I can handle this.

10 comments:

Natalie said...

That is a fantastic quote. It is going in my quote book. Thanks!

Jayne said...

I was kind of waiting for your post. I was thinking of you. Is it proper to extend my sympathies?

(Most of your other blog readers may or may not know that I'm not Mormon.) I listened to an NPR piece on President Hinckley this week. What impressed me was that he didn't begin that big, important job until he was in his eighties. When I think about that, and see McCain running for president in his 70s, I'm inspired!

I remember when our Church leader, Pope John Paul II, I got up absurdly early to watch the funeral on TV.

You know, I find it kind of ironic that when I lived out West, and was acquainted with lots of Mormons, I didn't really learn much about your faith. It took moving to NC and gaining a good friend who is Mormon to make that happen :)

And, hey. you will be more-than-fine once Caroline gets here. Adding a third one is not too difficult as long as you've already got one beyond the age-5 threshold.

Jayne said...

Ugh. I hate typos. Why can't Blogger let us edit our own comments??!!

That was supposed to read:

"I remember when our Church leader Pope John Paul II died, I got up absurdly early to watch the funeral on TV."

shelley said...

My mom is going through a lot right now with her dad coming to live with him and his very rapidly declining health. She always told me growing up that "this too shall pass". In my dark moments, sometimes it was only this phrase that got me through to the other side. Last night my mom and I talked through one of her dark moments, and I shared this exact same quote with her - it isn't as bad as you sometimes think it is. What a blessing to have such inspiring words from such an inspiring man.

Joey/Denny/Emma said...

I keep a collection of quotes in my day planner...been collecting them for years, and the "It will all work out" quote from President Hinckley is one of the oldest ones in my collection. I will miss him so, so much, but am so happy for him, too.

Anonymous said...

A good friend of ours back in La Grande, Joan Fredrickson, once said she was glad there were so many times in the Book of Mormon where it says "And it came to pass..." She's glad it didn't say "And it came to stay.."
G & G Hiatt

Sandy said...

That's one of my very favorite quotes - I refer to it often! It should be my personal mantra, actually - tattooed on my forehead to read every time I look in the mirror!

You'll do great with the new baby - your kids are old enough to actually be helpful (I had 3 kids aged 3 and under at one point...not so fun) - you're a THIRD time mom which will make you automatically smarter:) and Andrew will now have to bring you back better presents from his travel because HEY - you're staying home with THREE kids now:)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the great post and the wonderful quote. It's funny how things happen that relate to each other - I was talking with one of my co-workers this morning about raising children, and she said President Hinckley has a great quote about everything turning out okay and HERE IT IS ON YOUR BLOG! I've never read it, but will also be keeping it handy. My advise on the 3rd child - worrying about it beforehand is actually more stressful than taking care of 3 kids - really!
Love to you all,
Grandma Sweat

Ang said...

I love your picture of President Hinckley. I will miss him so much. His optimism and sense of humor and kindness made him seem like a friend--like I had a friend who happened to be a prophet :-). Thanks so much for your great post.

carrie said...

thanks for the post. i've enjoyed reading everyone's blog posts about Pres Hinckley today. it's such a testimony builder, and so hard to be sad with such uplifting thoughts.

i don't know much about raising kids, since i don't have any of my own, but i can tell you i think you are going to be great. even just the little i've known you so far, one of the things that already stands out is how great a mom you are!

-bigger