Monday, August 18, 2008

Hodge Podge

I haven't had anything to blog about this week. So I kept waiting to post. But now I have an assortment of thoughts to throw out there. Here ya go.

Best. Husband. Ever.
Every year there is a scrapbooking convention down in Charlotte. I think I've gone for the past 5 years. Even though I don't spend a lot of my time on that hobby anymore, I still enjoy it and like learning new things. The convention was this past weekend. My AMAZING husband agreed to keep all three kids all day long. He's usually a homebody when he's in charge of the munchkins, but not this time. He even took them to his company's summer party. Impressive, right? I left the house around 7:30 in the morning. I called him at 5:30 to see how things were going and if it was OK for me to stop at Concord Mills and shop for a while. Not only did he say things were going great, but he even suggested that I SPEND MONEY while shopping. Wait, are you sure this is Andrew on the phone? Did I hear you right? Well, when he makes a suggestion like that, I have to take him up on it. I turned off the ringer on my phone (in case he called back in his right mind) and quickly hurried to the Skechers outlet and purchased two new pairs of sandals. Ahhhh....retail therapy.

Andrew handled Saturday like a champ. I was SO grateful to have a little getaway. It was the first time in Caroline's life I'd been away from her that long. It caught up with him on Sunday. He fell asleep after church and had the hardest time waking up from his nap. He originally fell asleep downstairs on the couch. Then the phone rang, woke him up, and he came up to the bonus room where the kids and I were playing. But he just laid down on the floor and fell back asleep. The kids proceeded to torment him while he was in and out of consciousness. Brandon thought it was hilarious and grabbed the camera and took these pictures. Poor Andrew. I thought it was funny, too, so I didn't even tell the kids to stop. (SOOO not the best wife ever.)

Basket over head and gun in hand

Plus a Little people doll on chest.
You know he was tired if
he slept through all of this!

Olympic Fever
You gotta love the Olympics. We have become total couch potatoes as we watch elite athletes compete on the international level. Do you see the irony here? The kids are so into it. B and W don't care if it's swimming, volleyball, cycling, or the women's marathon. They are glued to the TV and cheering with excitement.

What has been your favorite Olympic moment so far? Mine was easily the men's swimming relay when France was talking trash and we came back from what looked like an impossible margin to barely edge them out for gold. YESSSS!!!! I was yelling at the TV like it was my own family out there swimming.

I wish I had the body of a beach volleyball player. Maybe we do need to move closer to the ocean so I can start playing that sport.

Do you watch any of the events and think, "I bet I could do that."? I've found myself thinking that on several occasions. I could do the uneven bars. How hard could it be to spin around like that? I could ride a bike really fast if I trained for a while. Oooh, I bet I could be really good trampolinist if I tried.

Water park
We have REALLY missed going to the water park this summer, but it's just not the best outing for a mom of three with a newborn baby. (I guess I'm not THAT adventurous!) But at the end of the season, they run a special where you can buy a season pass for next year and use it for the rest of this year, too. Since Caroline will be 1 by next summer, I thought this would be a perfect way to sneak in a couple of visits this month and then we'll be ready for next year, too. Andrew took the day off from work and we spent it frolicking in the sun and water. LOVED IT!

Brandon has decided he is NOT into water slides so just wanted to swim and do the lazy river. I was SO bummed because I LOVE water slides and was hoping to go on them with B since he's tall enough for all the rides now. Luckily Whit pulled through and went on a couple with me. Wheee! Andrew and I took turns hanging out with Caroline in the shade. That was actually a really great excuse to take it easy. It wasn't nearly as exhausting as usual.

Drew taking his turn with the baby

W having fun.
B...maybe not so much.

Drew and the kids on the lazy river

Me and Caroline relaxing in the shade

Did you know Whit was learning
to walk on water?

Caroline
Of course I can't update the blog without a few new pics of Miss Caroline. She laughed for the first time this week. Her little giggle is totally contagious, but I've only managed to get her to do it twice.

Her eyes are still that pretty gray-blue.
I hope they stay that way.

B took these first two pics. He's good at
getting her to smile. Sweet big bro.

She LOVES her hands right now and sucks
on them all the time. She also drools a lot.
She's at that point where the front of her shirt
is always soaked. Ahhh, the joys of babyhood.

15 comments:

jax from the harmon squad said...

Thanks for letting me steal Caroline during sacrament- I'm really starting to miss the newborn stage so I was in heaven (and any other time you want to hand her over feel free- Rob is typically the one to deal with Max so I can listen:) And I had a feeling you guys watched the Olympics after Brandon wanted not just to jump for Do As I'm Doing in primary, but to freestyle jump.

Anonymous said...

Brandon has talent! The pictures of Caroline are adorable. Andrea, I'm with you. I love the rides at the water park, but I'm glad for the lazy river as a recuperation time to get ready for more wild times!

Stephanie R.

Natalie said...

We have been watching lots of Olympics too. I must say, I still can't get over those skimpy outfits the volleyball girls wear. And did you see they have cheerleaders too? Crazy.

Ang said...

I've been loving the Olympics too. Yes on the relay moment, but I also loved the 1/100th of a second touch out where his mom was so sure he'd take second place her hand was frozen in the "number 2" signal until she sunk down and out of sight. Crazy. I also feel for Alicia Sacramone. She seems like the only gymnast with a real personality, and that Chung Fei STOLE that bronze on the vault. Robbed! I agreed w/ Coach Karoli when he said, "Why dey have to do dis like dat?"

And those pics of Caroline are so dang cute. As are the pics of Andrew.

Dan and Marci said...

So I commented on the wrong post. I have loved the olympics.

Dan and Marci said...

So I commented on the wrong post. I have loved the olympics.

Anonymous said...

Andrew sleeping with a gun in his hand, a basket on his head and a little peoples on his chest - too funny! And I loved all the other pictures - ate them up - yum yum yum a new post from far away in North Carolina-land!
Love to you all,
Grandma Sweat

Marianne said...

Oooh...I wish I could have gone w/ you to the scrapbooking convention....so fun!!

Water park!!! Yippee

Olympics....Patrick is loving them; I hear updates from him!

Caroline is cutey!!

Jessica said...

I just love reading your blog! Do you remember when I went to the convention and almost got hit by a car!? LOL I had so much fun that day. Caroline is just beautiful!

Anonymous said...

That picture of Andrew is hilarious! Only he could sleep through that.

And those pictures that B took of Caroline are great. She looks so pretty in the first one especially with her big eyes and womanly eyebrows.

The Normal Mormon Husband said...

Okay, I was totally blindsided by the pictures of me being tormented by the kids in my sleep. Did that serisously happen? I know Sundays can be physically and mentally draining for me, but sheesh! If I had known you let the kids make a fool of me during my precious naps, I NEVER would have told you to spend money at Concord Mills!

Sandy said...

I'm so glad you got some "time off" - yay for Andrew! Your water park looks awesome...man, I wish we had something like that. Its been so stinking hot here this week! Caroline is changing so much already - what a cutie!

PS - loved the pic of Whitney walking on water,heehee!

Julia Warren said...

Those pics of Andrew sleeping with a basket on his head are hilarious. Love it.

The Oregonians said...

We agree with practically all of the above comments.

curly girl said...

I can't watch the clips b/c the sound would wake my family up (and, probably, the sound of my giggles), but I can't wait to crank it up tomorrow!

I had to comment on the Olympics...Elaina was totally into them, too, and our favorite thing is that she would say, "I wanna watch the O'lipsticks." It threw us the first time and she kept repeating it and then said, "You know, swimming, diving, running" OH! Now we getcha!