Sunday, August 31, 2008

Out of the mouths of babes--August

A couple of days late, here are this month's funnies.

8/3--On our way to church this morning, we passed a truck that had a whole bunch of cases of pop in the back. Whit said, "I wish I could drink Sierra Mist all day!"
Brandon added, "Me, too! And I wish I could have a port-a-potty right by me!"

Doesn't want to have to hold it.

8/4--I love it when kids make observations like these. We read "Goodnight Moon" for the first time in a long while. I think Whit got some of the lines stuck in her head because later I heard her say, "A room full of mush is a mushroom!"

8/5--Deep thoughts from the backseat of the van. By Brandon:
"You're lucky, Whit. You get a mom. Moms get to stay home. Dads have to go to work. But they get to sneak candy....But they get old fast." Is that a slam on Andrew? Ouch.

8/6--Today the radio was doing a little piece on the most misspelled city named. Albuquerque was #4. Tucson was #2. And Pittsburgh was #1.
I was so surprised to hear it was Pittsburgh and thought I knew how to spell it. (I was wrong! I didn't know there was an "h" on the end.) Anyway, Brandon was shocked, too. He said, "They're wrong. That's impossible. First graders can spell Pittsburgh!"
Me: "How?"
B: "Well, I'm not one of those first graders, but others can."
Cracked me up.
Then he proceeded to make an attempt.
And he spelled it the same way I would've, without an H on the end. So I told him he got it right. Then I found out we were both wrong. Oops.

8/10--Whit came walking down the stairs this evening in one of her fancy princess dresses. This is pretty much a daily occurrence. But today, she took the act further than usual. She informed us (in her fanciest snobby voice) that she was Sarah, the princess of Agrabah. She assigned the rest of us new names and titles as well. I was Allie, Queen of Agrabah. Andrew was Josh, the King of course. And Brandon was the Royal Advisor. (Where does she come up with this stuff?) She insisted that as we all sat around the dinner table, we address her in our fanciest snobby voices as well.

Does she look like a Sarah?


8/21--The first thing W said to Dr. Buckley when he walked into our room was, "I like your tie." I thought it was so cute.

One night after the kids had gone to bed,
we went upstairs and saw this in the hall
between their rooms:
How cute is that? They'd tucked in all their
favorite dolls and stuffed animals.

8/24--B's deepest desire of the day: "If I could have only one thing, I'd want something to let me see through walls. That's my wish. Even if I only get one thing for Christmas." Later in the day he changed his mind, "Actually, if I could only have one thing, I'd have five billion dollars." That sounds more like him.

8/25--At the store today, Brandon asked, "Can me and Whit have a rice krispy treat?"
The answer he can almost always count on, "No."
But he had a great retort, "Can we have TWO?"
Good try, buddy. Still no.

B and I were trying to capture an optical
illusion of Caroline with a big head using
this huge magnifying glass.
Didn't quite turn out the way I'd imagined.

8/27--During our dinner conversation tonight, the subject of home-schooling and tutors came up. (Not that we're considering it, we just happened to be discussing people who do.) Whitney asked, "What's a tutor? Is it an 'utor' that toots?" She had us all cracking up over that one.

8/28--Whit walked into my room wearing a fancy white dress.
W: Today is my wedding.
Me: Who are you marrying?
W: A guy named...Joe.
Me: Oh. Where did you meet him?
W: Nowhere. I just heard about him.
Me: So you've never met him? How do you know he's a good guy to marry?
W: I heard about about him on my blog. [pause] And my sister-in-law told me he was a good guy to marry.
Holy cow! I've never heard her sound so grown up.

I think she can cook more at four years old
than I could when I got married!

Brandon didn't take any self-portraits this month, but I did find these pics on my camera:
Everyone needs a sideways
picture of their monitor

Peace out!

He thought this one was cool because C's
binky is in the process of falling out of her mouth.

That's his webkin perched precariously on the
balcony. Don't do it, Sam!!

And, finally, this is what happens when two 7-year-olds commandeer my camera at the water park:





Silly boys!

7 comments:

carrie said...

another good month. your kids, and their kids, are going to love these someday.

my laugh out loud moment came today when reading about Brandon not being one of the first graders who can spell Pittsburgh. priceless!

The Oregonians said...

More good ones from the NC branch.
Whitney, your great-aunt Denise would agree with your sister-in-law about "a guy named Joe."
(Be sure to see the old Spencer Tracy movie "A Guy Named Joe". Very romantic.)

Unknown said...

My favorite is Whit's wedding day story. I also love that you post the pictures that Brandon takes...I bet he loves that. Hmm...maybe I'll have to steal that idea :)

Natalie said...

The Port a potty comment was hilarous. And also the 'utor' that toots. Where do they come up with this stuff. So funny!

Carrie said...

I love these posts!! By the way, Caroline is SO cute. : )
~Carrie

Sandy said...

Too funny!! Love the "toot"er, heehee:)

The Normal Mormon Husband said...

Where do I start? Port-a-Potty? Marrying Joe? The utor who toots? Getting two granola bars? Just classic stuff, honey. And tell Brandon that I'm not old....just aging....quicker than you are.