Thursday, August 28, 2008

My BIG Second Grader

My big B-train started second grade this week. He was ALL excited for it to start. Now that it's here, the thrill is long gone. I already heard for the first time this morning, "I don't wanna go to school today." Great.
Here he is looking sharp
in his glasses and polo.

Don't let the look fool ya--he's still as goofy as ever.

Going...going...gone.

According to Brandon:

The best part of second grade(so far): Music and art. Good thing we're in a school that still has specials like this every day, huh?

The worst part:
TORNADO DRILLS
Yesterday, we had lots of severe weather alerts
for our area and the kids ended up having to sit
in the hall in THIS position for safety. I don't know
how accurate his sense of time is, but he says
he had to stay like this for an hour in the morning
and an hour and a half in the afternoon.
He's convinced he did chronic damage to his
knees and elbows. Poor little guy.


The other worst part: NO RECESS! Since it has been raining both days of school, they haven't been able to go outside for recess. When I asked what they did instead, he said, "We just did work!" Not the best start for my super-active boy.

He only has one friend in his class from last year, so he'll have the chance to make lots of new ones...if they ever get the chance to go outside and play together.

It's much quieter around here with B gone.
The girls and I enjoyed a lazy morning in our PJ's
for the first day of school. Yay for us!

8 comments:

Jayne said...

I was wondering how B's school handled yesterday's weather. For a while, those tornadoes were too close for comfort!!! What a weird day. No rain for, what, 2 months (?) and then torrential rain all day long.

Just to let you know, we kind of all hit the wall this morning. The structure of school has indeed taken its toll!!!!! At least we have a 3 day weekend coming our way :)

Natalie said...

Can I join your lazy mornings in pjs? Sounds like fun! As for the tornadoes...how scary is that? I am just glad they didn't come near our neighborhood. I heard one touched down in Jamestown and one in High Point. I kept thinking to myself...next stop our neighborhood! Glad it is all over now. That must have been a pretty eventful second day of school indeed!

Angelica's Family Adventures said...

Wow, sounds like the school year is off to an interesting start. Got to love the tornado warnings.

Ang said...

I love Brandon's tornado drill reenactment. Classic. And rain definitely puts a "damper" (get it??) on the first day of school. And cute shot of the girls.

Anonymous said...

Glad I was able to grow up in Utah and not have to do hour and a half fire drills. Great pictures!

Anonymous said...

I can just hear Brandon re-telling the tornado-drill - he's a crack-up! That picture of Whit and Caroline is so beautiful - and I love thinking of you 3 in your pj's all day - life is grand. Thanks so much for the update. We sure miss you guys :(
XO
Mom and Dad Sweat

Anonymous said...

While on his knees, Brandon can always pray there won't be any more tornado drills for the rest of the school year.
At least he got some exercise.
Caroline changes with each picture.
Keep them coming.
G&G Hiatt

carrie said...

tornado drills at school? wow! and i was told before moving here there weren't things like tornados. maybe i need to go to school with B and learn what to do, too.