Sunday, August 10, 2008

Take Me Out to the Ballgame

So, as a mom of a newborn, I consider myself pretty adventurous in a non-extreme-sports way. I've taken all three kids on a cross-country flight, grocery shopping on more than one occasion, to the library, out to eat at the Olive Garden, on a 30 minute walk with my friends, to church, to the movies....all in the absence of Andrew. Come on--does it get braver than that? Not much.

But, one of the least daring spots we decided to take her this weekend: to her first baseball game. Yay--go Grasshoppers! I decided baseball games are wonderful events for newborns. There are lots of things for them to look at, they're outside (unless you live in Phoenix), and it's really loud most of the time, so if they cry it just blends in with the crowd noise.... At least that's what I told myself.

Caroline did awesome.
I didn't even have to worry about her crying much.

She was happy to just hang out
and munch on her oversized binky.

Andrew and I love watching minor league games.
Brandon gets into them, too.
He's always one of the loudest cheerleaders.
Whit gets bored, but hangs in there.
(We usually bring Andrew's iPod so she
can watch a movie or two when her attention
span has reached its limit.)

On Saturday nights, they do a fireworks show.
It was AMAZING!
My camera takes crappy firework photos,
so you'll just have to envision something
similar to the opening ceremonies fireworks.
OK, maybe not that fancy-schmancy.
I don't know how she pulled it off,
but little C slept through the whole
thing. And it was LOUD! Yea, like
deafening. I think my ears are still ringing.

Whitney with Guilford the Grasshopper

Brandon with Miss Babe Ruth,
the bat retrieving dog.

On a completely unrelated note, it's fun to hear others' comments on who Caroline looks like. Most people say she looks like B. Others tell me she looks like Andrew or Whit. I've had very few people tell me that she looks like me. I don't blame them. I hadn't seen the resemblance, either....until tonight.
See my head full of dark, thick, voluminous locks???

We got a peek into the future tonight
when Brandon put Andrew's wig
from Halloween on Caroline:
Yes! Now she looks like she could
be my baby. She has my hair!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh I definitely see the resemblance! :) Glad you guys had a good time at the game. Love ya, Gigi

Natalie said...

OH my gosh! That picture with the wig is hilarious! Too cute! And I was very impressed that Caroline slept through all of sacrament meeting. Way to go Caroline!

Ang said...

Nah, she just looks like Andrew in a wig :-). Actually, I think she looks like her adorable little self. She's grown up so much already since we saw her!

Unknown said...

Ball games are so fun...most of the time! You guys are such a cute family... the wig picture is too funny.

The Normal Mormon Husband said...

I think Caroline looks like Renesmee. Oh, no! We had better start buying bigger diapers ASAP.
-Drew

Anonymous said...

Aren't baseball games great?! We went to our first one when Jack was about 4 months old. Funny wig picture, but I still think she looks like Andrew.

Anonymous said...

You two could be sisters.GGH

Destiny said...

love the hair!

Anonymous said...

I think taking 3 kids on an airplane from Utah to North Carolina ALONE is an extreme sport - so you are adventurious in all areas! Love the pictures - I always have to stop for a second when I see Brandon in his glasses since he didn't wear them when he was in Utah - he looks very wise. Caroline looks like Andrew's baby pictures in that last picture - if he let his eyebrows grow out I think that's what he'd look like now! Love you and miss you.
Grandma Sweat

Sandy said...

The wig is hilarious! I just can't believe how big she's getting - she looks like a real baby instead of a newborn! Looks like you guys are winding up your summer with a bang!

Joey/Denny/Emma said...

Adorable photos, and yes, Caroline does look very much like Andrew's baby pictures. She's a keeper.

Dan and Marci said...

I'm sure I could run track at the olympics--and told my family so when I saw the posted times of one of the prequalifying races--"I ran that fast in high school" I said. My brother-in-law quickly pointed out that I would surely have to move to a different country to do so--probably one that I've never heard of in fact. Oh well--here's to dreaming right!