Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Girl's Night Out

I had the funnest evening last night! I am good friends with a few of the moms of children who went to preschool with Brandon last year. Although none of their children are attending Brandon's elementary school, we all wanted to stay in touch. So last night we all met for dinner at a great restaraunt. It was such a blast.

Jennie, Me, Jayne

Shelly, Diane, Bea

It was so fun to hear everyone's stories, especially about how all the kids are doing in kindergarten. Most of the kids are struggling to adjust. This sounds terrible, but I was glad to hear that. It made me feel better that Brandon isn't the only one having a hard time. It was interesting to hear how differently other kids handle the stress, though. Some of them cry and don't want to leave the house in the morning, clinging to their moms. I SO can't picture Brandon doing that. Instead he'll just flat out tell me, "I'm not going to school today. It's boring and stupid." OK. I don't know which scenario is better. :)

I haven't had a good group of girlfriends since we moved here. In Tucson, I was in a book club where we'd meet once a month and stay for hours visiting. (And most of us really did read and talk about the book a little bit, too!) Most of the friends I've made here are my kids' friends' parents. So usually when we hang out, it's with our kids. That's fun, but it was really wonderful to get out as adults and not have the distractions of "Mommy, I need to go to the bathroom, " "Can you help me tie my shoe?" "Brandon called me a baby!" etc.

To add to the good day yesterday, Brandon came home with a good report from school. Yippee! They have started bringing home a behavior calendar that will either have a smiley face, sad face, or so-so face on it for that day. If they get 5 smiley faces in a row, they'll earn a small reward. I was so thrilled to see that B had a smiley face.

Whitney and I went up to the school to have lunch with him today. It was so cute to see him with all his 5 year old friends. He said he doesn't think he'll get a smiley face today when he comes home. Yikes--that's scary. It was good to see his teacher "in action" a little bit in the lunch room. She seems pretty strict. That's probably what Brandon NEEDS, but also probably explains a little about why he doesn't LIKE school right now. Maybe she'll grow on him.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good Job B-Train! :)

Unknown said...

Looks like you had a blast! :)

Dana

Laurie said...

Andi, you look so good. I love hearing about life with a kindergardner (spelling?). All these first time experiences with kids require some growing pains, eh? I will remember this when my boys start school.