Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Arizona, Yes I Did

The post title is the name of a song Brandon wrote when he was four.  Very catchy.  Maybe it will be famous one day.

Anyway, after ALL that fun in Utah, we said good-bye to grandmas and grandpas, aunts and uncles, siblings and siblings-in-law, and all those cousins.  We got back in the van and headed south to good ol' Winslow, AZ.

I have driven from UT to AZ at least thirty seven times.  But I always took the boring route down I-15.  This time, I took US 191 down through Moab.

Oh.

My.

Gosh.

It was a desert-and-rock-lover's dream come true.  It was so beautiful it was almost painful.  The red rocks were calling to me, "Come climb us!"



We listened.

 The kids loved the rocks as much as me.
Or maybe they were just happy to be out of the van.

Brandon is quite the little climber.

And Caroline held her own.
Even in flip-flops and a skirt.

I called Andrew and asked, "Um, why have we never been to Moab before?"  I think we need to plan another trip soon.  When we can stay longer than twenty minutes.

After we pulled ourselves away from the rocks, which continued calling to me but I learned to ignore them, we eventually made it to AZ.  It still feels like home to me.

The kids rode the jackrabbit.
Caroline asked to go back for the next several days.

And then we made it to Winslow!
Where we got to snuggle with these cuties:

Marcos

and Gabriel.

Mark and Taylor are my new heroes.
Six-week-old twins are A LOT of work.

And they are also SOOOO sweet.
I wish I was cuddling with them right now.

We played tourists and went down to THE corner.
Brandon was off fishing with Uncle Mark.
Or hiking, depending on who you ask.

It's a girl.
In a flatbed Ford.

Grandma Cuca was also at Mark and Taylor's.
So we got to eat her YUMMY tortillas and beans.
And Modie's tamales.
Believe it or not, I only gained ONE pound on this trip.

It was SO good to meet our new little nephews/cousins.
And we even talked Grandma Cuca into joining us for the
rest of our road trip.  

How many great-grandmas can say they've
driven across the country with their great grandchildren?
We are blessed.

8 comments:

CarrieMarie said...

i'm loving all your trip blogs! you had sooooo much fun! : )

Natalie said...

That pic of Caroline climbing the rock is so scary! It looks so high up.

{kim} said...

Aww, looks so fun and the twins are so cute. AZ is the bomb!

Destiny said...

I miss those little cuties! And I'm jealous you got Modie's tamales. What the heck?!?!

The Giles Files said...

My grandpa lives in Moab. We used to spend the summers there. It's crazy hot, but A-MAZ-ING!

I love that you do road trips with the kids. I am seriously thinking about doing that this next summer. I think we only have a few summers left before summer activities like girls camp and boy scout stuff will get in the way. Plus, I will be done nursing by then...but then I think I maybe a little too crazy to try it with 4 kids. I guess we'll find out.

The Oregonians said...

Looks like it's time for a verse or two of "Standin' on the corner
watching all the boys go by."
Thanks for some great pics.

The Oregonians said...

How come your blog asks for word verification but doesn't give you the word to verify until after you try to send a message? Then up comes a word. Is it just me?

Andi said...

Testing.

Grandpa--It looks like it asks me for word verification immediately. I'm not sure why it's different for you. I guess you're special. Maybe blogger wants to see what you have to say first.