Tuesday, August 03, 2010

Our getaway

My awesome mom agreed to watch our three munchkins again this summer so Andrew and I could sneak away for some time to ourselves.  Love you, Mom!

We decided to visit the exotic and romantic Vernal, Utah.  :)  We decided it would be fun to go golfing together.  It was a first.  In fact, it was only my second time golfing ever.  We reserved a tee time at Dinahland.

 Not that I have anything to compare it to, 
but I thought it was a cute little course.
Not quite as many trees as we're used to.

First we hit a bucket of balls.

Andrew gave me golfing pointers.
It's harder than it looks.

We had a great time.
Golfing is more of a workout than I realized, too.
I ended up scoring a 78.
I hit the ball fairly straight and about 80 yards at a time.
Andrew did awesome.
I think he ended up with a 54.
We probably won't go again for a long time.
Golf is a sport that takes too long and costs too much.
Maybe as the kids get older, though.

After golfing and drinking slurpees (mmmmm.....7-11), we watched Inception, the Leonardo DiCaprio movie.  We LOVED it.  It was intense and mind-boggling.  

The theater had dinosaur heads mounted on the wall like hunting trophies.

Then a late dinner at Cafe Rio.
Oh, how I wish we had one in NC.
But my waistline is grateful we don't.

The next morning, we got up early to go rafting down the Green River with Don Hatch River Expeditions.  We did the Split Mountain Canyon Day Trip.  It was perfect for us.  Just enough white water to keep it exciting, but we never feared for our lives.  Most of the time we were just floating along, enjoying the beautiful landscape.  

Before we got in our rafts, we stopped to view some petroglyphs.
I love stuff like this.

 After our safety briefing, we were fitted with helmets and lifejackets
 and we were off!

We couldn't have asked for more perfect weather.
Check out that blue sky!

Our raft-mates:
Andrew, Jose, Julisa, our Trip Leader Scotty (a total Jack Shepard look-alike),
Iliana, and Oscar.

We had the best seats in the raft--front and center.
Woo hoo!

Andrew even spotted some big horn sheep along the way.
It takes an eagle eye.
Can you find them?

How about now?

 It was a wonderful little escape for us.

6 comments:

Natalie said...

What a fun gettaway. And yes golfing is one of those things we just can't afford to do regularly either. But the rafting looks awesome!

Jayne said...

Oh my...could you weekend have been any more perfect? Glad to get caught up on your adventures! Please give your mom a hug for me.

The Oregonians said...

Found all three in the first picture (clicked, enlarged)--but thanks for the close up.
Great pictures of the two of you.
Great to see all five of you while you were here.
Love y'all.

Unknown said...

What a great get-away!
We loved that movie too :)

Grandma Sweat said...

What great photos. It all looks like it was so fun! That was so nice of your mom (and dad I'm sure too!) to take the kids for you and you guys look like newlyweds all over again! Hope you have a safe trip home.
Love,
Grandma Gummy Bear

Sandy said...

I'm so jealous...we had a weekend getaway in Jackson complete with whitewater rafting trip all set to go a couple months ago - without the kids - and our babysitter bailed the DAY before!! then I got pregnant, and now we can't go for another year - boohoo! Live vicariously for me!!