Saturday, January 06, 2007


Ok, we made it home safely yesterday, but only after a VERY stressful day. I live a very non-stressful life. I hardly ever feel nervous or stressed about anything. It's such a blessing and I love it. Yesterday was the exception to that rule.

To start off with, Andrew and I had budgeted to pay a little extra on the principle of our mortgage payment this month. Since we were out of town, I was out of my normal routine and forgot to do it until the day before it was due. I made a mistake and the mortgage company withdrew a whole extra mortgage payment, plus the extra principle. AAAAGGGHHH! I tried to call and get the process reversed, but the person I talked to on the phone was very unfriendly and unhelpful. And I needed to wait until the payment cleared my bank account and then they said they could cut me a check. How long is that going to take????

When I called Andrew to tell him about the dilemma, he told me that his car was broken--wouldn't go out of park. Yikes. We were just bragging about what a good car it had been over the last year, too. AND, Brandon was supposed to get off the bus at a friend's house, but his teacher called Andrew to tell him that we were supposed to fill out paperwork in order for that to happen. The handbook was very unclear about that. It said we needed to send in a written note if he would be riding a different bus, but not if he would be on his normal bus and get off at a different stop. What a mess! It all ended up working out.

It was snowing in Salt Lake and Whitney and I were supposed to be flying out. I worried about whether or not they would let us fly. They only delayed our flight by about 10 minutes, but once we got on board, they had us sit in the plane for an hour while they de-iced the plane and put jello on the runway. Ok, the captain said "a jello-like substance". Didn't make me feel very secure about our take-off. We finally got off the ground, but we missed out connection from Dallas to Charlotte. We spent 2 1/2 hours wandering the airport, feeling homeless.

We want to go home!

Originally our flight was supposed to arrive in Charlotte at 8:50 pm, but the new flight didn't arrive until 11:45. I felt too bad to make Brandon drive down there when he'd have school the next day. Andrew called a friend from church to come to the house and stay with Brandon while he drove to Charlotte to pick us up. He agreed--what a saint! Whitney was a trooper through the whole ordeal. She was great on the plane and easy in the airport.

So we posed for the first picture.
It really wasn't THAT bad.

She fell asleep within 5 minutes of us putting her in her carseat on the drive home and slept until 10 am this morning. We both needed it! I'm hoping this weekend will give us a little time to catch up on our rest, adjust to the 2 hour time difference, get unpacked, finish Christmas(we had to leave several of the kids gifts here) and start to get back into the normal routine of life.

OK. I guess that's all. Thanks for listening. I feel much better now.


Jayne said...

And adding to Andrea's stress: you see, she has this friend who missed her while she was away but called and woke her up, not realizing that she and Whitney hadn't arrived home until the wee hours of the morning...ooops.

Angela Hallstrom said...

What a crazy day! I bet you are exhausted. Good thing Whit's such a trooper. A lot of 2 year olds would have been having major meltdowns! Glad you got home safe and sound. And even though it's so fun to visit, isn't it nice to walk into your own house again? I know I always loved that part.

MOm Sweat said...

You kids need to make a little scrapbook called "Plain old bad Plane Karma for the Sweats" or something - I've lost track of all your misadventures over the years - but you have the WORST luck! I remember my parting words to you at the airport were "This isn't that bad of a storm, don't worry, you won't get delayed."

so glad you made it back home finally, and Brandon's video clip of his basket rocks! Way to go B-train!!! Dad went to Jonas' game this morning and Jonas made some baskets too - so rock on little Sweat/Hallstrom boys!

Whitney's slippers are at the bottom of the stairs - I'm going to leave them there for a few months and just look at them and smile as I walk by. Sure loved having you here.


g&g hiatt said...

"Oh, it's so nice to go travelin',
but it's so much nicer, yes it's
so much nicer to come home."
(Try to imagine Sinatra singing.)
Congratulations, Brandon, on your basket ---and good blocking of the opposing player after.
It was good to see you all and
we're glad you're all back home
safe, sound, and happy. (Well,
sort of..)

Sandy said...

I'm glad you all made it home in one piece! And that Whitney was a trooper...otherwise your day could have been MUCH more stressful!!!