Monday, December 04, 2006

Getting spoiled

No, my kids are not getting spoiled. They aren't that lucky. But I am! Or at least that's the way I felt this past week. I got two really fun experiences in a row.

First: Girl's Night Out. This month we went to a fondue restaurant.
I forgot my camera! I was dying about that.
Luckily, you can find just about any image you want
on the internet. So I borrowed these:
Our local restaurant has a girl's night out special once a month.
How lucky are we? It includes cheese, a salad, and dessert.
That may not sound very filling, but trust me, we were all stuffed!

For the cheese course, we got to dip bread, chips, veggies, and apples.
I thought it was kind of weird to dip apples in cheese, but it tasted ok.

The salads were yummy.

But, of course, my favorite part was the chocolate!
We got to choose two different types. One was called
a "flaming turtle." It had carmel and nuts in the chocolate
and was served en flambe.
I've never had ANYTHING en flambe.
Couldn't believe I didn't have my camera!

The other one we chose was a mixture of
milk and white chocolate called the
yin and yang.
Isn't that the coolest looking dessert?

These were the yummy treats to dip.
The strawberries and cheesecake were my favorites.

The conversation was non-stop and very entertaining. It's always nice to remember that I have an identity other than "Mom." Don't get me wrong, I love that role. But the kids will grow up and I don't want to forget who I am in the midst of raising them.

My other treat: I got my very first manicure!
My good friend, Nicolle, (who is a faithful blog reader) knew that was one of the things on my list to do before I died. As a thank you for throwing her a baby shower, she got me a gift card to a fancy spa downtown where I got to be pampered for 45 minutes. I loved it! Andrew asked if it was something I could get used to do every week. I told him, "No. Not every week. Maybe every month." :) I'm sure that's not going to happen. My favorite part was the hand massage--so relaxing.
Here's the finished product. I think they look good.
What do you think?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

The manicure looks great! Now you just need to try a pedicure...they are even more relaxing!

Anonymous said...

I am very jealous! Those are two experiences I've never had. I've never been to a fondu restaurant (or had anything served en flambe before) and I've never had a manicure. I've had a pedicure and that was fun, but never a manicure. How fun for you.

Sandy said...

Oh, the fondue looks SO GOOD!! My Mom got us a fondue pot for Christmas a few years ago and we have yet to use it...but that chocolate/caramel/nut stuff sounds REALLY good - may have to dig it out! Manicure looks great, too! I haven't ever had one, either. I'm too afraid it'll be destroyed in about 2 minutes...knowing me, I'd spoil a nail before I even made it to the parking lot!

Anonymous said...

You are a woo-woo-woman! I imagine whoever did the manicure was having a ball, since it's not very often you get to give someone their "first" in life! Your nails are gorgeous - and the fondue sounds divine - anything dipped in melted cheese is delicious -
Love,
Mom Sweat

Anonymous said...

Ooohh . . . you have such pretty hands. The only manicure I've ever had was right before my wedding. I got some fake nails (because my real ones are so bad--and because it was 1992)--but I broke half of them on a family trip to California. Grandpa Ranquist chartered a boat ride around Catalina Island, only they let us off on the wrong side (the rocky side) and I got dashed up against the rockst trying to swim to shore. Harrowing AND I lost my nails!

Laurie said...

Your first manicure! How fun, especially a treat to do this time of year.

I have never been to a fondue restaurant either. Gotta get there one of these days! Sounds delicious.