Friday, October 06, 2006

In Memory of Grandpa Ranquist

We got a call this morning to let us know that Andrew's Grandpa Ranquist passed away today. His health has been deteriorating for the past several years, but he has always managed to bounce back. Even though we knew this day would be coming, it's hard to imagine him not being here. I'm thankful for my knowledge of eternal life and that we'll see him again.


Grandpa and Grandma Ranquist
December 2005

These are some of the things I will remember about Grandpa:
*How he made me feel welcome and a part of the family from the first time I met him.
*His deep, powerful voice.
*His great love for his family and the way he always voiced it.
*His example of hard work.
*His example of enduring to the end.
*His example of church service and love for the Lord.
*Him whispering compliments in my ear every time I gave him a hug.
*His on-going joke about his hearing aid whistling whenever a pretty girl was nearby.
*His big, meaty hands.
*The annual Ranquist Christmas party. I'll especially remember the one where he got serious and called everyone's attention and said, "This is something I've always wanted to do." He proceeded to take out his partial denture and sing, "All I want for Christmas is my two front teeth." It was so out of character and hilarious.
*His confidence in Andrew--always telling Andrew that he was capable of great things.
*Visiting him in his assisted-living apartment when he was all excited to let Brandon ride on his Jazzy. It was so sweet and thoughtful.
*His interest in and concern for my side of the family. He would regularly ask, "How are your parents? How is your Grandma?" I always knew he cared.

Grandpa will be missed!

5 comments:

Laurie said...

I'm so sorry to hear this. My heart goes out to you all. I can see Andrew in him. He sounds like a very neat man/patriarch of the family.

Anonymous said...

Andi,
This is so great. Thank you for posting it. We're looking forward to seeing you!
Angie

Sandy said...

I'm sorry to hear about this-- he sounds like a great man and such a good example! Thank you for posting about this!

Jayne said...

Sending our thoughts and prayers to you and all of your family.

Love,

Jayne & Tommy

Greg and Nicolle said...

We miss you guys! Let us know if you need us to take care of anything here while you are away.